Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

8 Big Horn Sheep Killed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2010, 05:09 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 8 Big Horn Sheep Killed

You may be right and they called it something else who knows. We do know this that's 8 that can't be harvested by hunting...shame.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:02 PM
Silver Member

What was killed? Rams or Ewes & lambs? Hard to understand how you could run over that many in one sitting. Like RockyMtnMT said 'glad it wasn't me.' Sheep are the ultimate
Old 01-16-2010, 02:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/2 slam View Post
What was killed? Rams or Ewes & lambs? Hard to understand how you could run over that many in one sitting. Like RockyMtnMT said 'glad it wasn't me.' Sheep are the ultimate
On more than one occasion I have come upon a herd of sheep on the highway on Lost Trail pass in South West MT. Come around the corner and there they are in a tight little group covering both lanes. Without good reaction time, you go through the herd. Then you hope the guy behind you has as good of reactions as you do.

Steve
Old 01-19-2010, 09:16 PM
Platinum Member

TOO TALL, A while back I heard a semi hit alot more than one sheep, your area, I THINK they ticketed him, also they have a sign for how many hit on that stretch and it seems like it was really high, cant remeber #'s. Witness said he was driven like a jerk.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:01 PM
Silver Member

sp6X6, We have flashing signs, where I live, for a 30 mile streach for deer and elk wintering area but the semi's don't slow down. Hundreds killed every year. Bad thing is the semi's don't slow down. But when you run over a HERD of Bighorn Sheep after seeing flashing signs to slow down - the death penalty might be in order! At the least their should be some serious tickets. I know, they can appear out of nowhere, and those arn't avoidable, but this day & age you can determine when excessive speed was the culprit. Sorry for my ranting but to see that number of Bighorns killed in one pile makes me sick.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:56 PM
Platinum Member

That is exactly what happened here, we have the light and signs posted in multiple spots
Old 01-19-2010, 11:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/2 slam View Post
sp6X6, We have flashing signs, where I live, for a 30 mile streach for deer and elk wintering area but the semi's don't slow down. Hundreds killed every year. Bad thing is the semi's don't slow down. But when you run over a HERD of Bighorn Sheep after seeing flashing signs to slow down - the death penalty might be in order! At the least their should be some serious tickets. I know, they can appear out of nowhere, and those arn't avoidable, but this day & age you can determine when excessive speed was the culprit. Sorry for my ranting but to see that number of Bighorns killed in one pile makes me sick.
Then when you hit a wolf or a grizzly or any other endangered animal, you can do jail time. Unless someone is running them over and taking them for the meat or the trophy (that would be poaching) then I think we are asking for trouble. Start that ball rolling down the hill and the next thing you know running over the neighbors dog when he chases your car will cost you like you hit his kid. After all he loved the dog and you should have been more careful. Where does it stop? What if you hit a California Condor that flies up off of a road kill (that someone else is doing time for) in front of your car. Endangered species, signs on the road, flashing lights. The negligence is overwhelming. The wanton disregard for the life of an endangered animal. It may even be looked as purposeful, a hate crime possibly. I can easily see a jury of you're peers giving you a 25 to life sentence.

Seriously, isn't the 1000's of dollars in damage enough?

Steve