Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

7mm SAUM info

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-12-2014, 08:34 PM
7mm SAUM info

Hi guys, I'm thinkings of building a 7mm SAUM.
My question; is it possible to load a 168gr VLD Berger with a short action and AI 308win mags?

I'm worried that the OAL will to long to fit in the mag...

Unread 08-13-2014, 08:57 AM
Gold Member
Re: 7mm SAUM info

I do not believe the AI mag will allow you enough length to have decent case capacity. I use Alpha II mags which will allow an oal of 2.95". It has been so long since I have loaded for my 7rsaum I can not remember the oal. As far as using a S.A. you may have to pull the bolt more then likely to extract a live round.
Unread 08-13-2014, 10:03 AM
Platinum Member

You may very well run into issues with a .308 magazine & a magnum cartridge. I too run the alpha WSM mags in a S/A 7saum. Case capacity will be pretty reduced, but she'll run.

Alpha Industries Manufacturing

"I, however, view ethics as an individual decision. My ethics are mine - and I won't explain or justify them to anyone else. I seek nobody's approval, just that of my own conscience. "

Unread 08-14-2014, 01:41 PM
Gold Member

With the chamber I have my OAL is 2.9", I have the Wyatts extended box in my rifle w/ a Stiller Tac 30 opened up. Extremely accurate rifle. Velocity who cares, accuracy is where it counts for me anyway