Hey guys, I know most of you already know about my new project. I am debating between the 6x284 or 6BR. I would like to get some opinions about which one I should go with. Here are some facts for you all to consider when giving your advice. Thanks in advance, as I value all of your opinions.
1. This is going to be a Low Volume Shooting long range rifle, so I am not worried about barrel life.
2. Longest shots will be shooting out to a 1000 yards.
3. I want to use the Lapua 105grn Silver Scenar (Moly Coated) and maybe the occasional 87grn V-max.
4. Barrel will be Krieger, 30", 1-8.5 twist, with brake. Krieger recommended this twist rate when using the 6x284.
5. Rifle will weigh 32 pounds.
6. I would like to shoot the 105grn bullets at around 3200 to 3300fps to maximize the BC. I know this favors the 6x284. The 6BR will push the 105grn bullets at around 2900fps, so I know the 6x284 has the advantage over the 6BR in this department. However, is the extra 300 to 400fps worth it?
7. I don't want to Improve the 6BR case to get the extra velocity if I go with the 6BR.
8. The varmints, I will be shooting at, are small California ground Squirrels.
The rifle is going to be very heavy and stable, here is a list of the some of the components;
1. Nesika Model L, 1.700 Diameter Action.
2. Krieger, 30", 1-8.5 twist, 1.450 straight cylinder.
3. McMillan Tooley MBR, 5 Pounds lead added to rear.
4. Jewel trigger.
5. Vais Muzzle Brake
I apologize for listing the components again. Some have made fun of me for updating you all on the componenets. However, because of the question I am asking, I wanted to list the components in hopes it would help those who will answer the question.
I've been reading some really good thing about the 6BR, so I am thinking maybe using it might be the way to go. However, I would like to hear what you guys have to say.