Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

44 Long Colt and The Judge?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2009, 05:47 PM
Silver Member

44 Long Colt and The Judge?

I am thinking about getting "The Judge" which is a revolver that shoots 44 long colt or .410 shotgun. It seems pretty cool and practical for the kind of things I will be using it for. What kind of drawbacks does the long colt have when compared to say .44 Mag and other popular handgun cartridges? I am wanting this for bears, home defense, and grouse shooting.

Anybody have The Judge? Like it? Is there anything else out there that is chambered in this configuration?

Thanks
Old 08-03-2009, 08:56 PM
brassprep

Re: 44 Long Colt and The Judge?

I believe it is a 45 long colt. I don't believe there is a 44 long colt as a standard Colt round. The 45 long colt started life as a black powder round, no comparison at all to the 44 mag. The 454 was worked with the 45 long colt, but trying to heavily up load the 45 long colt is a bad idea, bad idea. However, the 45 long colt is a FINE manstopper in the self defense role. I have never fired a Judge, But because of bullet jump etc. I do not believe it will ever be mistaken for a match handgun. In the home defence role, it maybe just the ticket with 410s, do to the reduced risk of wall penetration etc. It is big and heavy, recoil should be very low. With all that said, not my first choice for a home defense handgun. But certainly way better than lots of other choices. This is my two bits worth, hope it helps.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:07 PM
brassprep

I would like to add, that most of the guys I know developing heavy loads in their 45Long Colts are doing so in Ruger and Freedom Arms types, these are very strong weapons-very strong. I don't know of anybody loading heavy in a Judge. I believe the Judge was developed with idea of a short shot gun, and in this role it has been very well received.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:15 PM
Bronze Member

I would rather have a .44 Mag. A .410 is not a self defense round (against bad guys or angry animals.) A .44 Mag loaded with CCI shotshells is also more effective against snakes.

The Box O' Truth #41 - The Taurus Judge Vs. The Box O' Truth

The Box O' Truth #30 - Snakeloads O' Truth
Old 08-04-2009, 08:11 AM
Platinum Member

It is a great marketing hype for a problem that does not exist.

IMO piss poor defense gun.

If I was going to use it, I would use the lighter 950-1000 fps loads with SWC.

BH
Old 08-04-2009, 09:32 AM
Gold Member

Location: Sagauache County, Co...3170 sq miles, not a single stop light!

i shot almost a box of shells through one of these last yr. a friend bought one thinking it was just the perfect self defense gun because she is not that great a shot with a pistol. i was not that impressed. the long colt rounds were accurate enough at medium ranges and seemed pretty hard hitting, but the 410 rds were plumb puny. prob work good for snakes and such at ranges out to maybe 5yds. but i sure as hell wouldnt want that for a big bastard across a room, and you are limited to 5 shots. big bulky handgun also. give me a six shot snubby .38 over it anytime....AJ