Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

416 Opinions Required

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2005, 06:35 PM
Gold Member

Re: 416 Opinions Required

Interesting read but you'll fare better sticking with modern ballistics programs...
Old 09-18-2005, 10:01 PM
Silver Member

You might as well go with the .416 weatherby
Old 09-18-2005, 10:43 PM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="purple"> In an article in the November, 1947 issue of the American Rifleman magazine,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] </font> </font> </font>
1947 pretty much sums it up. Just as I stated before, no modern bonded bullets. The physics, while still high school level, is slightly more complicated. If the bullet doesnít exit the animal Ė you take the KE of the bullet when it hits the target and subtract the KE left from momentum transfer. Conservation of momentum guarantees the bullet touching the animal has the same momentum when it stops inside the animal. You need to subtract out the KE from the momentum left (the algebra is left as an exercise for the student).
Taylorís Index is a joke with modern ballistics &amp; bullets. Itís not consistent with experimental data on soft tissue and wound channels from hi velocity bullets. [ QUOTE ]
<font color="purple"> If there is a discrepancy, it is in comparing bullets with a high tendency to tumble with those that do not.

[/ QUOTE ] </font> </font>

Who shoots bullets that tumble? The best quote I have ever heard on TI is from the guy on LRH who wrote the ballistics software. He said something like; it at least tells you not to hunt Griz with a .243
Compare the TI of the Abrams Tank vs. the T-72 and the T-72 looks better while the Sabot DU Abrams round has penetrated two T-72 side by side. Most T-72 projectiles bounced off the Abrams. (OK, so thatís because of superior amour, but I can get to brag about our superior tanks, rounds, amour ad optics)

Get a 375 RUM and don't look back. Cheaper, more/better components, far superior long range killing power.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:32 PM
Gold Member

Since there is a lot of talk about Taylor why not a 416Taylor get any magnum action rifle and have it chambered in 416 taylor and fit a synthetic stock have it teflon painted to protect it i would have a muzzle break added and about a 22" barrel would not use the Brno as i have encounted problems with the bolts locking up and then you are in the SH** if you are looking for a reliable bomb proof 416 look at the Ruger Safari in 416 Rigby they are very strong and ruggard but i would go with a custom gunsmith on a remington action or a Mauser Magnum if you have to have control round feed i dont believe you need it. You could have a custom 416 made for under the price of a Custom Remington but a 416 Rem Mag from the custom shop would be a verry nice rifle just get a muzzle break added at the factory.

Cheers Bil
Australia
Old 09-19-2005, 08:14 PM
Bronze Member

Frist let me say I agree there's been a lot of progress in bullet design especially in the last 20 years. Regarding the tumbling bullets I think the author was refering to the 223 when it first came out in the M-16 it was reputed to have "awesome" killing power because the bullets would tumble in their target.

I agree the 375 RUM is a great caliber for long range shooting, but I'm looking for a short range stopping rifle.

I'd like to see the science agree with experience. The conclusion Taylor reaches: He thought that this would lead the hunter to believe that a small bullet, at high velocity, would be more effective on big game than a slower, heavier bullet. He stated that based on his hunting experience this was not so.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:22 PM
Bronze Member

You've had personal experience with having problems with the Brno bolt locking up? Not what I'd like to have happen when at close range with Mr. Horriblis [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] If you have any written refernce material regarding this could you post it here?
Old 09-19-2005, 08:39 PM
Gold Member

Yes i have and i know of others here in Australia im lucky it didnt happen with dangerous game juse feral pigs with a 375H+H have a good look at the Brno and twist the bolt out to the side when cykling you will feel where they can bind they are a verry strong action but for dangerous game i would not touch one as a matter of fact i dont own any anymore and will never own a nother one.

Cheers Bill
Australia