Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

338 RUM is a tack driver and a forehead killer!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2007, 05:37 PM

Re: 338 RUM is a tack driver and a forehead killer!

Good thing for me the Zeiss 3-9 has a rubberized rear eye piece [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Like I said before the rearward recoil isn't whats getting me so much as the muzzle jump. I think I might send it off to get magnaported. Can someone tell me if magnaporting will be as loud as a brake?

REM: While I weigh in a little more than you I don't by much......about a 170lbs. I used to shoot a 300WBY Mag but let me tell ya it had nothing on this 338 RUM in the recoil department. I ran 11 or 12 rnd through the RUM several days ago and it really doesn't bother me except the muzzle jump. I had it sitting with the front sling stud just infront of a sandbag and the sling stud tore a big damn hole in the bag! Anyway I'll check the LOP and would love to hear some magnaport experiences. Thanks again
Old 04-09-2007, 05:49 PM
Platinum Member

Have a friend that has a 338 Win Mag magnaported. Its his favorite rifle.

But I figure a magnaported 338 RUM and a non-ported Win Mag would be about the same.

Me thinks about a pound and a half of weight in butt and fore arm would be about right. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 04-10-2007, 02:59 AM
Platinum Member

This is just something I've learned to live with since my start with a light 300 Win Mag while I was but a 130 lb kid nearly 20 years ago.

My secret is to mount the scope really far forward so my neck is "pre-stretched" when reaching up to it. After a little bit, you get used to it. That's what has felt natural to me for years now.

I just weighed my 300 RUM in its current guise at 9 lbs 5 oz and I've shot 290 grainers from it at 2800+. Its current scope only has about 2.75" eye relief to the actual eyepiece that would bash you (the ocular lens is set in a ways). But the scope is mounted far enough forward it pretty much can't get me. Longer eye relief helps but I've found it doesn't help enough if you still mount the scope too far back--even if you back up your head, recoil will take up all that slack.

In short, move the scope farther forward and you may fix your problem for free without adding something you don't want.