Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

338 RUM Project Rifle & Drag Bag Completed - I think?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2006, 09:43 PM
Platinum Member

338 RUM Project Rifle & Drag Bag Completed - I think?

Well....it ain't no Thunder or Edge but it sure was low budget......

<u>Credits</u>
Ike's in Idaho Falls for the good deal on the 700 BDL LH 338 Win Mag

SWFA for the Weaver Tactical 4.5 X 14 and Burris Sig. mounts &amp; Rings.

Kirby Allen @ APS for the 338 RUM Take Off Barrel. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Bruce Preheim of B&amp;B Gun and Pawn, Rexburg, ID for lapping the lugs, smoothing the bolt face, fitting the barrel, Tubb's recoil lug &amp; brake and trigger job.

Yours truly for the stock work including pillar &amp; skim bedding, reshape and prep for paint. (That's the original chopped off BDL stock under those funny colors)

The Guy at the Eastern Idaho State Fair that had the painting booth with cans of Krylon and torches. I had it all real pretty black (pickup truck bed liner). I just said, "Matt, go for it" and came back the next day and picked it up. Cost me 35 bucks. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] Hey, I know the kid, he needed the money.

The shooting matt/drag bag:

Smith &amp; Edwards, Willard Utaar for the army surplus ground cloth.

Blackfoot Canvas for the sewing.

Who ever dumped the foam rubber along the side of the road for the padding. (no kiddin')

B&amp;B Leather, Blackfoot, ID for the rings and leather straps

Yours truly for the nifty thingers to hold the rifle and the very cool cinch knots.

Best 3 Shot group, so far.

Old 09-09-2006, 10:48 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 338 RUM Project Rifle & Drag Bag Completed - I think?

Roy, have you ever thought about driving in NASCAR? they pick drivers on their ability to say every sponser in 10 seconds or less. it's not their skill as a driver.

nice gun, i'm sure it'll knock something this year. i'll send ya out a can of gray primer, that pink's gotta go!
Old 09-09-2006, 07:25 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
that pink's gotta go!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats <font color="red">red </font> Dave. it really is. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 09-09-2006, 08:06 PM
Platinum Member

Did some drop chart development this morning. Was a beautiful cool morning w/no wind until about noon. Very unusual....

Shot to 300, 400 &amp; 500 Meters. Windage is spot on. Drops are a few inches from predicted.

Will shot from 500 to 1000 meters and finish the chart.

See, Dave, it is red. But I think I'll name it "Pink"
Old 09-09-2006, 11:41 PM
Platinum Member

Roy, that is some good shootin. Your stock looks cool, also where did you get that umbrella set up, did you make or buy it.

Wildcat
Old 09-10-2006, 06:12 AM
Platinum Member

Roy, i just asked my 7 yr old and he said it was pink, well maybe pinkish red. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] anyway, that's a heck of a group, i'll be tickled "pink" if i can get mine to shoot like that.
Old 09-10-2006, 06:39 AM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
Roy, that is some good shootin. Your stock looks cool, also where did you get that umbrella set up, did you make or buy it.

Wildcat

[/ QUOTE ]

The umbrella setup includes a Wally World umbrella and the remains of a $900 Satloc prototype computer vehicle stand which had no use and just happened to have a tube that fit the umbrella handle. The dern'd thing weights about 5 pounds.

I'd recommend getting the umbrella first then finding a piece of PVC that the handle will fit into then fasten the PVC to a plate sufficiently large to act as a stand. Then pile rocks/dirt on it for stability. The higher the wind the more rocks [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

It may also be C-clamped to the bench or fastened some other way.