Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.


Reply

333 Yard 3 shot Group..........

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-28-2010, 08:43 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,654
333 Yard 3 shot Group..........

I realize that this is not LR but from what I've read, is that load development for 1000 and further should be around 300 yards so with that in mind I set out to see what my rifle would do . I loaded up the rifle, targets and everything else and headed out in the middle of the day yes I skipped out of work to do some shooting ! The temp was 93 and the wind was blowing but I just had to see what these new loads would do(not the best conditions for load dev.) . I set up at 333 Yards I tried several loads but they didn't do to well . I had loaded up 3 rounds of my favorite load from last year and tried it . I couldn't see the boolit holes until I drove up to the target when I got there I had 3 shots that measured .621


So to those of you that shoot long range . Is this what you would call good to go ?? or should I play around with seating debth from here ??

Load was 85.5 grains of retumbo 210 berger .020 off the lands.
sholder bumped .002
Nosler custom brass.
brass weight sorted.
Fed 215 M
BigBuck
__________________
"Molon Labe"
IN DIXIE WE DON"T CALL 911 !
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-28-2010, 08:52 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Townsend, Montana.
Posts: 7,914
Re: 333 Yard 3 shot Group..........

Sounds great to me. Did you only shoot the one group with them? If so I wuld probably shoot another group or two at 300 on a calm day. If all is good I would go right into zeroing and drop development.

Good shootin!

Jeff
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-28-2010, 08:59 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,654
Re: 333 Yard 3 shot Group..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Sounds great to me. Did you only shoot the one group with them? If so I wuld probably shoot another group or two at 300 on a calm day. If all is good I would go right into zeroing and drop development.

Good shootin!

Jeff
Yeah I only shot one group of this load . I would waite until conditions looked and felt the same then I would send it . Last year I shot this load at 200 yards and it was one wollered hole . I will take your advice and shoot a few more groups with this load. So if the resulst are the same what yardage would you move out to next ?

Thanks for the reply

Bigbuck
__________________
"Molon Labe"
IN DIXIE WE DON"T CALL 911 !
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-28-2010, 09:16 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Townsend, Montana.
Posts: 7,914
Re: 333 Yard 3 shot Group..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck View Post
Yeah I only shot one group of this load . I would waite until conditions looked and felt the same then I would send it . Last year I shot this load at 200 yards and it was one wollered hole . I will take your advice and shoot a few more groups with this load. So if the resulst are the same what yardage would you move out to next ?

Thanks for the reply

Bigbuck
Sounds like the load is good if you have shot it at 200 before too.

Next I would zero at what ever you like. Some like 100 zero to keep it simple. I like 200 or 250 to extend the distance I can shoot with no correction in the elevation turret.

After zeroed, I would shoot next at 700 on a calm day. Depending on what ballistic program or drop chart you use, once you are dialed in at 700, I have found it gets me very close to everything between me and 1000 yards.

Jeff
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-28-2010, 09:26 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,654
Re: 333 Yard 3 shot Group..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Sounds like the load is good if you have shot it at 200 before too.

Next I would zero at what ever you like. Some like 100 zero to keep it simple. I like 200 or 250 to extend the distance I can shoot with no correction in the elevation turret.

After zeroed, I would shoot next at 700 on a calm day. Depending on what ballistic program or drop chart you use, once you are dialed in at 700, I have found it gets me very close to everything between me and 1000 yards.

Jeff
Okay I will set it at 200 yard zero.

I will shoot @ 700 next time out.
What kind of group would you exspect or what kind of accuracey standard should I try to accomplish at the 700 yard mark ?

I use a kestrel 2500 NV
Dell Axium pocket pc with NF soft ware .

BigBuck
__________________
"Molon Labe"
IN DIXIE WE DON"T CALL 911 !
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-28-2010, 09:51 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Townsend, Montana.
Posts: 7,914
Re: 333 Yard 3 shot Group..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck View Post
Okay I will set it at 200 yard zero.

I will shoot @ 700 next time out.
What kind of group would you exspect or what kind of accuracey standard should I try to accomplish at the 700 yard mark ?

I use a kestrel 2500 NV
Dell Axium pocket pc with NF soft ware .

BigBuck
You have the the same stuff as I do. After you confirm the 200 yard zero and have enteresd the current bullet data, and field conditions. Then enter your range (700) in the target engagement page hit update and calculate. Then shoot your 700 group using that dope. If you are shooting under 1 1/2" at 300, that is under .5 moa. So at 700 you should see a group of 3 1/2" or less. I feel this is great shooting.

After you have your group at 700, measure the height difference from the center of group and your point of aim. Lets just say it is 3" low. Then on the first page of you NF program, hit " program options" and select "Tradgectory Validation". In tradgectory validation you will now enter your data and hit apply. So, we were 3" low at 700,... distance 700 yards, .. point of bullet impact -3...apply.

Then start the fun part, testing to see you are indeed on at all distances. You can go back in and do tradjectory validations at any time or any distance to 1000 yards. If you find you are on at 1000 but up or down a couple inches at 500 I would not sweat it. The deer at 500 won't mind if you are off .5 moa / 2.5" but at 1000 .5 moa is 5" and that could be a potential problem.

Hope this helps, have fun!
Jeff
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: 333 Yard 3 shot Group..........
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
75 Yard 454 Group jwp475 Specialty Handgun Hunting 6 01-13-2011 03:58 PM
<<<752 yard 3 shot group & pics>>> bigbuck General Discussion 10 07-27-2010 09:20 AM
Cold bore shot group vs Warm bore shot group Alan Griffith Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 24 06-07-2010 11:58 AM
500 Yard 3 Shot Group SMK 7mmRemMag Long Range Hunting & Shooting 15 12-24-2008 12:04 AM
500 yard group skeeter Long Range Hunting & Shooting 14 06-20-2005 07:47 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC