Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

"300 WSM Varminter" info

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2007, 05:41 AM
Gold Member

Fenced yards ain't hole cards..........

Willie might 'a sung it but Billy Jo Shaver wrote it!
Old 11-01-2007, 07:27 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Festus,

You are correct, Richard has pretty much dropped the J-4 jackets from his bullets. That has been a reason for some delays in bullet shipments. The inconsistancies were just more then Richard would allow for his quality control.

He told me his contract with Sierra looked very promising but had yet to get any final time frame as to when jackets may start heading north.

The Sierra jackets are much heavier then the J-4, that would certainly help my projects!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 11-01-2007, 08:15 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
Demarpaint, I have said on many occations, if the wind gets bad, I will switch to the higher BC set up. However, I shoot in an area were the wind never gets bad, so the 125grn BT at 4000+fps will perform very well.

I wanted a set up that would be fast, accurate, and deadly. The 300 Varminter is perfect for my needs and conditions in my area. I am having a 30/338 Lapua improved built for shots past 1000 yards.

Wildcat
------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was echoing what Kirby had said. The only time I ever shoot where wind will never be an issue is at a private indoor range , other than that even here on Long Island wind can be a real PIA at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat
Demarpaint, I have said on many occations, if the wind gets bad, I will switch to the higher BC set up.

Wildcat

How can you with a 15 twist barrel? I never like the idea of building a gun for one bullet maybe 2.

1doug
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
1doug and I share the same opinions.

Now that 30/338 Lapua Improved set up with the proper twist is one awsome rig!

Frank D
Old 11-01-2007, 08:20 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Demarpaint, I have said on many occations, if the wind gets bad, I will switch to the higher BC set up. However, I shoot in an area were the wind never gets bad, so the 125grn BT at 4000+fps will perform very well.

I wanted a set up that would be fast, accurate, and deadly. The 300 Varminter is perfect for my needs and conditions in my area. I am having a 30/338 Lapua improved built for shots past 1000 yards.

Wildcat
I was echoing what Kirby had said. The only time I ever shoot where wind will never be an issue is at a private indoor range , other than that here on Long Island wind can be a real PIA at times.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat
Demarpaint, I have said on many occations, if the wind gets bad, I will switch to the higher BC set up.

Wildcat

How can you with a 15 twist barrel? I never like the idea of building a gun for one bullet maybe 2.

1doug
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

1doug and I share the same opinions.

Now that 30/338 Lapua Improved set up with the proper twist is one awesome rig!

Frank D
Old 11-01-2007, 05:04 PM
Platinum Member

Demarpaint,

When I said I would switch to a higher BC set up, I ment I would go to the 30/338 Lapua Improved set up when the conditions get bad and I need to make a shot past a 1000 yards.

The 300 Varminter is a specialized high velocity varmint rig. This set up will mainly be used out to around 850 yards with the bulk of the varminting being done from 400 to 600 yards.

Richard sent me his latest video of himself and his partner shooting their 300 Varminters at groundhogs. Even at a range of 600 yards, the groundhogs are lifted into the air and blown to pieces. That is pretty impressive when these groundhogs are weighing in at 12 to 15 pounds.

One of the of the fellows I spoke with, who owns a 300 Varminter, said the 125grn BT at 4000+fps is so destructive on Pdogs, he said it is absolutely like nothing he has ever seen when it come to the "Red Mist Factor". He said his favorite varmint rifle used to be his 6x284 with 75grn V-Max's at a velocity of 3800fps, however, he said his 300 Varminter is now his favorite go to varmint rifle.

Anyhow, I am loking forward to getting my 300 Varminter. I will post picks and results as soon as I can.

Wildcat
Old 11-01-2007, 05:10 PM
Platinum Member

Kirby,

Thanks for the info. The shortend version sounds like it would be a hit, especially because it would have more case campacity than the 30-378 Weatherby. I look forward to hearing about it in the future.

Wildcat
Old 11-01-2007, 05:21 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Demarpaint,

When I said I would switch to a higher BC set up, I ment I would go to the 30/338 Lapua Improved set up when the conditions get bad and I need to make a shot past a 1000 yards.

The 300 Varminter is a specialized high velocity varmint rig. This set up will mainly be used out to around 850 yards with the bulk of the varminting being done from 400 to 600 yards.

Richard sent me his latest video of himself and his partner shooting their 300 Varminters at groundhogs. Even at a range of 600 yards, the groundhogs are lifted into the air and blown to pieces. That is pretty impressive when these groundhogs are weighing in at 12 to 15 pounds.

One of the of the fellows I spoke with, who owns a 300 Varminter, said the 125grn BT at 4000+fps is so destructive on Pdogs, he said it is absolutely like nothing he has ever seen when it come to the "Red Mist Factor". He said his favorite varmint rifle used to be his 6x284 with 75grn V-Max's at a velocity of 3800fps, however, he said his 300 Varminter is now his favorite go to varmint rifle.

Anyhow, I am loking forward to getting my 300 Varminter. I will post picks and results as soon as I can.

Wildcat
Best of luck with your project/projects......... I wonder how that 30/338 Improved would be shooting 175 SMK's? Talk about "red mist"............

Frank D