Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

"300 WSM Varminter" info

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2007, 12:01 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post
Patriot44,

Again, bullet drop is easy to figure, its consistant, EVERYWHERE, its easy to predict EVERYWHERE, wind drift on the other had is what makes you miss small targets at long ranges in unknown shooting conditions EVERYTIME.

Again, if you have never felt the wind blow, go for it, it will work fine, if you live out west or anywhere the wind blows, DO NOT get locked into a 1-15 twist barrel, you will be sorry.

Kirby Allen(50)
I have to agree with Kirby. Although I have never shot out west I can tell you the winds in the East, Bodines 1000 yard range in PA has some really tough wind conditions (ask anyone who shot there). I learned that the hard way. I would rather push a heavy bullet a little slower than a light bullet fast any day. JMO, good luck with your project!

Frank D
Old 10-31-2007, 06:58 PM
Bronze Member

Fifty, I agree with you regarding the windage issue with the 125grn BT. I love the High BC bullets too, however, I have had problems with the VLD type bullets when using them for varminting.

I have had too many hits on varmints and have watched too many of them crawl back into their holes because the bullet passed right through them. When I am shooting varmints, from 100 to 1000 yards, I use the Ballistic Tip, V-Max and A-Max bullets. The A-Max seems to be the best all around bullet for high BC and killing power. I use the 87grn V-Max out of my 6mmAI for varminting out to 1000 yards. I have had excellent results, even in the wind.

I will also agree the wind out my way is nothing like the wind you guys get out your way. So when I say windy conditions, for me that would mean a windy day would be a 8 to 10mph wind.

When I shoot past a 1000 yards, I go to the VLD bullets right away. I have always been able to get away with using the Ballistic Tip and V-Max bullets out to 1000 yards. But once I past the 1000 yard mark, I need to go to the VLD bullets in order to be successful.

I have read all of Wildcats post's and he has stated this rifle will only be used out to 1000 yards. I think he also stated he shoots in an area that is not very windy, so this set up will probably work pretty well for him. I would have went with something different. I would have designed the 300 WSM around the 168grn A-Max for varminting, but others have their reasons for designing their rigs. I think Wildcat also mentioned he is having a 30/338 Lapua Improved built for varmintig past 1000 yards, so it sounds like he will be set up for all conditions.

I must admit, I think the 300 Varminter sounds like an awesome varmint rig for it's intended purpose. Anyhow, I hope you and wildcat can put your differences aside and STOP arguing over stupid stuff. I read the "What a Joke" post, and I think all parties, IMO, got a little out of control.

P44
Old 10-31-2007, 07:50 PM
Platinum Member

Demarpaint, I have said on many occations, if the wind gets bad, I will switch to the higher BC set up. However, I shoot in an area were the wind never gets bad, so the 125grn BT at 4000+fps will perform very well.

I wanted a set up that would be fast, accurate, and deadly. The 300 Varminter is perfect for my needs and conditions in my area. I am having a 30/338 Lapua improved built for shots past 1000 yards.

Wildcat
Old 10-31-2007, 08:10 PM
Platinum Member

Kirby,

I wanted to post the third party info, because I thought it was important to give that info. The information provided by these individuals was important to show that this set up is sucessful for its intended purpose.

I will post the results on my rig as soon as I receive it and start shooting. I am pretty confident from all the information I have received from owners of the 300 Varminter and Richard Franklin, this set up will be an excellent varmint set up for its intended purpose.

Anyhow, once again, I apologize for the arguing in the past.

I look forward to hearing how your 30-408Cheytec works out. That sounds like it will be one fast shooting cartridge. I am thinking that baby will shoot the 208grn A-Max close to 3700 to 3800fps. Man, talk about a devasting combo for long range varminting, that will be an awesome set up if everything works.

Wildcat
Old 10-31-2007, 10:41 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
Demarpaint, I have said on many occations, if the wind gets bad, I will switch to the higher BC set up.

Wildcat
How can you with a 15 twist barrel? I never like the idea of building a gun for one bullet maybe 2.

1doug
Old 10-31-2007, 11:18 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Wildcat,

It looks like the full length version of the 300 Allen Magnum has to much capacity for the bullets avaialble. To make this work even remotely well, I need a 290 to 300 gr 30 cal bullet. Richard Graves has gotten me 30 cal bullets but the jackets will not handle the strain this chambering would produce on the bullets.

The 208 will be far to light to make this round work efficently.

I am not looking at a shortened version, case length would be around 2.7" in length. Case capacity would be around 15 grains more then the 30-378 Wby but with the 250 to 265 gr class 30 cal bullets it should work much more efficently then the full length version. Still, need the right jackets to make this work well enough to market to the public. Right now no commerical bullets will work.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 11-01-2007, 12:49 AM
Silver Member

Fifty,

I would guess you speak with Richard frequently so you prolly know this...he told me he was having trouble with J4 jackets with regard to supply. He said he was switching to Sierra jackets. I don't know if he has made the switch yet but does this change the situation for you in a positive way?

Festus