Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

The thread is closed

300 Varminter Update

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-14-2008, 10:02 PM
Bronze Member
JWP475, I have read all of wildcat's post, and I don't really know what your referring to or what your problem is with him. Anyhow, I think it would be best for you to not hijack his posts.

Unread 04-14-2008, 10:03 PM
Bronze Member
Wildcat, are you going to use the V-Max or the BT for most of your varminting with the 300 Varminter.

Unread 04-14-2008, 10:19 PM
Official LRH Sponsor
Personally, I am very interested for Wildcat to get his rifle, run it through its paces and report his results. This rifle platform has had alot of comments stated about its usefullness and its uselessness. It will be good to have a poster on give a complete report on this combos capabilities instead of "hearing" second hand how it does.

I for one am looking forward to his report on the rifle and I have no doubt it will be a shooter.

Kirby Allen(50)
Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page:
Unread 04-16-2008, 11:16 PM
Platinum Member
Today, I went squirrel hunting, for the second time, with my friend who owns a 300 Varminter, so I hope this qualifies as first hand experience. We made hits on squirrels at ranges from 400 yards with the longest shots being 643, 677, 703, 710, 725, 760 and 786 yards. The majority of the shooting, with the 300 Varminter, was done between 400 and 600 yards. The bullet that was used was the 110grn V-Max, loaded with 74.8grns of VV-N550, set off by a 215M primer in Norma Brass. The velocity, with this load and bullet, was 4130fps.

The bottom line, the rifle performed absolutely amazing. The wind was blowing a bit today, so we really had to adjust for widage. However, it was not that bad to correct. It was also very easy to see our misses, which aloud for easy adjustment compared to trying to locate our misses with the smaller 40 and 50grn bullets we were using out of my 223 and the 204. The 110grn V-Max, at that speed is unbelievably expolsive and accurate. It was even expolsive on the shots past 500 yards. The squirrel that was hit at 703 yards did about two flips and was split into two pieces.

The rifle performed very well even in the wind. I will admit, we did have to adjust a bunch for wind, and I knew we would. However, the kill power of the V-Max bullet was worth giving up BC for the spectacular kills that this combonation provides. If you are a serious varmint hunter and you want spectacular kills at the longer ranges, you will love this rifle.

This is my second time seeing the 300 Varminter in action, and I am very impressed with it's performance. I think this should qualify as first hand knowledge. When I get my rifle, I will give a report. The report will not be as detailed as a report like Kirby or some of the other members might give. However, I will do my best, but I think what I have seen so far should be enough to prove that this rifle performes well out to 800 yards with the poly tipped bullets and is very accurate. Is it a rifle you want to use at ranges over 800 yards in high wind areas, probably not. However, is it a rifle that will perform for the varmint hunter who wants an accurate maximum killing machine at ranges out to 800 yards, YES. True, when the wind picks up, your going to have to adjust for windage, however, that's the price you pay for shooting lower BC poly tipped varmint bullets. But the flip side to that argument is anything out to and under 800 yards will be killed with great authority and spectacular splat factor effect.

The bottom line, The 300 Varminter is a varmint rifle that is intended for shooting varmints out to 800 yards with awesome killing power and accuracy. It has proven to me and others that it is one Bad Ass, super accurate, awesome performing varmint rifle.

Thank you for reading. However, if you don't have anything constructive to say and just plan to poke and make comments like JWP475, EddieHerran and Buffalobob, please, just stay away and respect my post. I don't want it hijacked and turned into a who can make the better joke post.

Last edited by wildcat; 04-16-2008 at 11:22 PM.
Unread 04-16-2008, 11:20 PM
Platinum Member
P44, I am going to use both the 110grn V-Max and 125grn BT. As I mentioned in my post above, the 110grn V-Max performed very well out to 700+ yards during the squirrel hunt I was on today. The 110grn V-Max is much more explosive than the 125grn BT. Most of my shooting will be done from 400 to 600 yards, so I am thinking I am going to go with the 110grn V-Max most of the time.

Unread 04-17-2008, 10:38 AM
Platinum Member
I fail to see how my reply of, "be still my beating heart", can be classified as an inflammatory remark. "Methinks he does protest too much". I do not recall being openly critical of Wildcat. I'm, like the rest of us, anxious to see pics and results. I hate waiting.
If that is offensive to anyone, I apologize.
Unread 04-17-2008, 11:32 AM
Platinum Member
I did not have a response to your post untill I read this little Tid-Bit

Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
Thank you for reading. However, if you don't have anything constructive to say and just plan to poke and make comments like JWP475, EddieHerran and Buffalobob, please, just stay away and respect my post. I don't want it hijacked and turned into a who can make the better joke post. W.

You started a Thread with the word "Update" in the Thread re-stated all of particulars of the build. The spec's and components of the build had already been posted before and were not an update. The only unknown info was that YOUR RIFLE WAS COMPLETE YET. WOW.

You do not have the right to tell anyone on this board which threads they can or cannot post in or the content of their post. Posting on a World Wide Web one is open to any and all opions, comments, etc if you do not want to deal with that then don't post....
range it,check the wind, dial in correction, aim and only one shot
The thread is closed