Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

The thread is closed

300 Varminter Update

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-20-2008, 04:37 PM
Platinum Member
75 grains gets you this.

It takes 79 grains to show 4000+

Unread 04-20-2008, 06:15 PM
Platinum Member
No worries. As of today, it's reported that there's 30 guys shooting their 300 WSMs at 4000 fps with 125 Nosler BTs. And none of them have reported any injuries to themselves or damage to their weapons... so far...:eek:
Unread 04-20-2008, 07:14 PM
Platinum Member
Let me get one thing straight. I know about safety, I am not going to get this rifle and shoot it with the hottest load. I am going to start out low and work up. I know what I am doing, and I am not stupid. I have been shooting for 30 years. I am not a gunsmith or a ballistics expert, so I am not the best at trying to prove a point or arguing with guys like Kirby, Goodgrouper, ect. I will be the first to admit that. However, I am not going to set back and let anyone of them get away with trying to put down or say Richard is promoting an-unsafe concept.

If a gunsmith as well known and respected as Richard tells me his 300 Varminter will push the 110grn V-Max and 125grn BT at 4000+fps, do it accurately and safely, I am going to trust, listen and believe him. There are many other 300 Varminters that are reporting the success of this rifle. BountyHunter made an awesome point, there are more than 30 owners of the 300 Varminter, and they have all reported excellent results. I have gotten a ton of my information from most of them. True, I don't have my rifle yet, however, I wanted to report the results that I heard from the other owners to prove the ney sayers wrong.

Kirby-Lets get one thing straight Regarding the brass, when I said I would be happy with two firings, I was being a bit FACETIOUS. I have reported on numerous occations, the owners have all reported at least 4 firings from the Norma 300 WSM brass out of the 300 Varminter.

Phorwath-I am not a mouth piece for Richard, and I don't think I am doing anything to hender his Rifle. I am trying to defend it, the best way I can, from guys like you who try to degrade or say it's unsafe and not attainable to get this type of performance out of a 300 WSM, as long as it is set up around the correct components.

I am guilty of one thing and one thing only, being too excited about the build and continuing to post on this site. I should probably not post anymore about this rifle build. However, I am not going to let a few keep me from posting. I have not done anything wrong, and I have continued to try and get along with the guys who have been most criticle of my posts.

Unread 04-20-2008, 07:28 PM
Platinum Member
Quick Load predicts over 87 thousand PSI to acchieave 4011 FPS while the SAAMI MAX avewrage pressure is 65 THousand (I beleive) and you (Wildcat) are still argueing that this is an acceptable safe level of pressure, because some are getting away with it(so far) is like argueing that 100 MPH is safe because many have gaotten away with speeding at 100 MPH with out incident..

22,000 PSI above the Maximum allowable safe pressure............ AMAZING that you are claiming this to be a safe operating pressure, WOW
Your Logic is simply (to put it mildly) AMAZING........
range it,check the wind, dial in correction, aim and only one shot
Unread 04-20-2008, 08:24 PM
Bronze Member
Kirby, I am never going to have you build a rifle for me nor do I need your expertise. So, I am not afraid to offend or upset you, or your Kirbyites with my next comments. First of all, you are a hypocrite, you continue to use the safety issue as your argument and your concerns. However, you promote a line of cartridges called Allen Mags. Your cartridges take a ton of work before the guy can even begin to shoot them. You think because a guy has to go through all of these steps of fire forming a case, ect keeps your line of cartridges and rifle builds from being bought from the average joe, NOT. Your line of cartridges, even though you promote safety on how to use them, can be un-safe aswell. REMEMBER, I SAID CAN BE UN-SAFE. I know you will never admit that and neither will your following. I bet if you discussed your line of Allen Mags on a site like, you would be challenged and have many expert Rilfesmiths question your motives and safety regarding your line of cartridges. BountyHunter is right, you and your following will never go there, because you know what would happen. It's easy for you to pick on a guy like Wildcat. Know matter how much you tell a guy how to reload, fireform, and shoot your line of Allen Mags safely, there is a chance he may not follow your advice. You honestly think all of your customers are expert riflemen, NOT. I know you tell them exactley how to use your line of cartridges and how to safely shoOt and load them. However, once that rifle leaves your shop, you don't know what the guys is going to do with it. Your Allen Mags, you promote all over this board are unsafe to the average shooter, I don't care how you and your following spin it. The fact is, there is a chance of it being un-safe. Please, don't try to come back at me and say, "How dare you say I am un-safe rifle builder and cartridge designer" and spin your rhetoric. Go some where else with your whinny self, I am sure your troopes will come to your aide and defend you. Anyhow, it's been fun, but I have had enough of the ARROGANCE of some of you on this site, and I mean SOME. Wildcat, I am sorry for doing this, but I am sick and tired of some of these guys on here acting like they know everything and telling others there wrong and their way is right. Wildcat, have fun with your new rifle, I look forward to hearing about.

Unread 04-20-2008, 09:24 PM
Platinum Member
Go some where else with your whinny self
Did you have breakfast with Bozo this morning?

If you haven't noticed every site has their "local" gunsmiths that they choose to use. Snipers Hide has them PLRH has them, we have them, 6mmbr has them and the list goes on and on. That's how it goes, deal with it.
Unread 04-20-2008, 09:52 PM
Silver Member
ss7mm, will you please run the numbers with the 110 Vmax like you did with the 125 BTs.

Wildcat, I'm interested to see how the cartridge and new gun perform once you get everything worked up to what you are comfortable with.

All this arguing got me interested in the 125gr BT and I looked at accurate reloadings specs for it in the 300 RUM and they are getting 3800 fps with 95grs of powder w/ a 26" barrel (61,000 psi).
The thread is closed