Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

300 Varminter Drop and Windage Chart for 600 yards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-08-2008, 12:25 PM
Platinum Member
Kirby, thanks for that excellent response. I don't mind if people want to post, however, posts that are sarcastic, ect don't need to be posted. Your post is very educational and I have always agreed with you on just about everything. You are very knowledgeable and helpful, and I appreciate your comments. I understand my rifle wont be the best for shooting varmints past 600 yards, however, it should do one hell of a job out to that range.

I have also decided to make this rifle into a switch barrel rig. I was going to build a seperate rifle for shooting the VLD type bullets for longer range shots. Because my 300 Varminter is set up on the Nesika Model K Action with the short magnum bolt face, I decided to order another 30 cal barrel and make this rig a switch barrel rifle. I am going to have Richard Chamber this barrel for a regular 300 WSM and have the barrel throated for the 190grn VLD, 208grn A-Max and 210grn VLD bullets. The barrel will be a Bartlien 30" 1-10 twist, 1.250 straight cylinder. I thought a switch barrel rifle would be the better way to go. I would have the best of both worlds, the 110grn V-Max's for the 500 yard shots and then switch over to the other barrel and shoot the 208 A-Max, 190 and 210 Berger for the 1000 to 1500 yard shots.

Last edited by wildcat; 05-08-2008 at 04:13 PM.

Unread 05-08-2008, 05:21 PM
Official LRH Sponsor
I have to ask the question then. Why not just use a 1-10 barrel. The 110 gr V-max would be out of the equation but the 125 gr Ballistic Tip WILL handle anything you could throw at it velocity wise in a 1-10 and it will never come apart. Its thick sidewalls and base will handle anything you can push it to unlike the thin jacketed V-Max.

That way you could have two different loads, one a close to moderate range varmint load with the 125 gr BT to say 3800 fps and a long range varmint, big game load with the 190 gr VLD as well?

Guess I tend to be practical to the boring point but just had to ask the question.

Yes, you would have to drop some velocity off your 125 gr BT load but as you stated 600 yards max, you will never notice the difference between 3800 and 4000 fps at 600 yards or less.

Anyway, just get the damn rifle and tell us how it shoots and this issue will be laid to rest!!

Kirby Allen(50)
Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page:
Unread 05-08-2008, 05:59 PM
Platinum Member
Yea, I can see your point, I just really want to shoot that 110grn V-Max for varmints out to 600 yards and see how it works. Like I said, I never really get to shoot past a 1000 yards. We shoot to around 600 yards in the area where we go after varmints. However, my buddies and I are planning on a couple of Pdog trips to Wyoming, Montana and South Dakota. So, I am going to be able to shoot well over a 1000 yards. I know the wind is going to be blowing out there and my little 110grn V-Max is not going to cut it even at the shorter ranges like 400 and 500.
I would like to shoot the 190 Berger VLD, 208grn A-Max and 210 Berger VLD out of this barrel. Would the 1-11 twist be a better twist rate for those bullets? Kirby, I really do appreciate your help and I am truley sorry that things ever got heated between us. It was really stupid, and I am sorry for my part.

I know, I need to get my rifle. I promise it's being built as we speak and should be completed by next week. I just got done talking to Richard about making the 300 Varminter into a switch barrel rifle, so I know it's close to completion.

W. *
Unread 05-08-2008, 06:05 PM
Platinum Member
Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
Kirby, thanks for that excellent response. I don't mind if people want to post, however, posts that are sarcastic, ect don't need to be posted. Your post is very educational and I have always agreed with you on just about everything.

I don't think that we need thread number 20 on the same subject over and over with the same info...
range it,check the wind, dial in correction, aim and only one shot
Unread 05-10-2008, 01:45 AM
Platinum Member
Nice shootin' with the 44! Since it fits into the topic, I'll ask a question about the rifle you're building me. How far away will prarie dogs go pop if shot with the 200 grain 7mm wildcat, started around 2950 fps?? A mile? MORE? Oh yeah, I'm at 6000 feet.
Unread 05-10-2008, 04:00 PM
Platinum Member

I know you have caught a lot of flack about your biuld and it doesent matter
what anyone thinks as long as you are happy with it and it performs like
you expect.

I am in the autumn of my years (OLD) and being somewhat conservative I was
wondering why you picked a "very" high pressure round for extended shooting
such as P Dogs? Again I'm not questioning your choice just wondering .

My experience with high pressure special chamberings has not been pleasant so
I have tried to find a cartrige that will reach my needs (velocity,energy,range,
trajectory and accuracy with reasonable pressures and case/barrel life.

Velocity is like horsepower the higher you get the more it cost and the more
problems you will have. and there is always someone that will have more or
at least claim to.

Just to show my point I was looking at the trajectory of my 7mmRUM with 120gr
balistic tips and it is identical to your load to 600yards at a reasonable velocity
of 3700ft/sec (I have exceeded 3800 but begain to show pressure signs so I
backed off) and it is a standard chambering with reasonable barrel life.

I use 160gr accubonds but the round is capable if I wanted to use it for vermin.

Any way I hope your project turns out well and doesent cause you to much

Good Luck
Unread 05-10-2008, 10:54 PM
Platinum Member
Look at the other post on next page.

Last edited by wildcat; 05-10-2008 at 11:39 PM.