Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

300 Varminter Completed (Pictures)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2008, 05:21 PM
Platinum Member

Gopher Whiplash

Better wear a snowmachining hemet and safety goggles before you torch off one of the 125 BTs at 4100 fps. And some flame retardant coated coveralls. I hate it when the bolt welds itself to the action.

I think the thing that hasn't been made known yet is that at 4100 fps, all you have to do is shoot within 12" of the little buggers and they jump up in the air two feet, all the fur is stripped from their bodies by the pressure wave of the bullet, and they fall back down to earth on their backs with their legs kicking in fast motion. The misses are more fun to watch than the hits.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:41 PM
Silver Member

Wildcat
Nice looking stick!!
could you post the specs??? LOL
Really thou glad your back on your feet and getting your new gun.
let us know how she shoots.

BH
I think your right! Wildcat would make a good interrogator!
The perp would be yelling please STOP I'll tell you all I know,
butt please no more specs! LOL

CAM
Old 05-22-2008, 06:03 PM
Platinum Member

i would say this 300Varminter has a "folk lure" kind of status on LRH! i can't think of another build/project that is more famous.

nice stick Cat!
Old 05-22-2008, 06:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BountyHunter View Post
[URL="http://richardscustomrifles.com/"]
When shooting results are posted, the ALS ambulances with defibulatars need to be warmed up, the seizures will start.

BH

Hillarious! I can just see it now!

BTW, I missed something somewhere I guess. What is an "ite"? Who are they?
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
Better wear a snowmachining hemet and safety goggles before you torch off one of the 125 BTs at 4100 fps.
Where did you get 4100 fps? all postings have been about 4000.

And I will match your bet that at 4000 it does not lock the bolt? How much can you afford to lose?

BH
Old 05-22-2008, 08:31 PM
Platinum Member

I read everywhere from 3750 to 4100+ fps over the past year in multiple postings. You'd have to excuse me if this results in your or my confusion. I've read 6-7 firings of useful brass life all the way down to one firing and toss the brass. 110 grain bullets to 200+ grain bullets. Varmint rifle intended for 1000 yd shots in one post to varmint rifle built for 600 yd shots in the next.

Nothing wrong with offering some safety measures when we're clearly intending to exceed standard industry pressures. If I recall, you were the one suggesting that 30 guns were in operation shooting at the velocities being claimed so the hell with science and theoretical pressures - the proof was in the pudding! Pixie dust, along with slow twist barrels was allowing for high velocities without high pressures. Kirby's conversation with Richard did finally settle the fact that there was no magic in those excessive velocities. It came from pressures that will render the brass useless in two firings at most. Turns out that pixie dust didn't replace pressure in creating the 4000+ fps velocity after all.

Which goes to show that after 20+ threads (you can "correct" me on 20+ threads if that's the item of importance to you and offer another bet if I'm off a couple threads in one direction or the other), you may be suffering confusion also, BountyHunter. Since you're an avid supporter of running these pressures, then you're pretty comfortable betting. Go ahead and fire the first 4000+ fps 125 gr BT loads for wildcat. Now that's a real bet.

Before we end this correspondence, was it 4100 fps dead nuts even? Or 4000 fps? I don't recall anything about this rifle project being that repeatedly consistent or precise. As I recall, the facts evolved pretty commonly and frequently as the evidence to the contrary began to mount. You can research all past threads and give us the "most correct" figures. If you're willing to spend the time, I'm willing to be corrected on this forum. Not a concern. And you'll be adding to the legacy of the 300 Varminter by placing it in the most threads/posts ever category.

Last edited by phorwath; 05-23-2008 at 03:10 PM.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
And you'll be adding to the legacy of the 300 Varminter by placing it in the most threads/posts ever category.

The most threads/posts by far for a rifle system that has yet to arrive..

Maybe we could see the component and spec list one more time before the stick arrives or a couple of more times.