Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

2nd Ammendment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2011, 02:37 PM
Bronze Member

2nd Ammendment

I was having a heated discussion with my brother (who cannot see any reason why civilians would need to have semi or fully automatic weapons) about the 2nd ammendment. It occurred to me that with all 30-some odd thousand members of this blog (most of us able to hit a pop can at 600+ yds), I would feel sorry for anyone who was crazy enough to invade the U.S. (Or try to take our rifles from us!) But it did make me wonder. . . . Do you believe that civilians should have the right to own semi or fully automatic weapons. I just want to see what you all think.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:10 PM
Bronze Member

Re: 2nd Ammendment

Here are a few points to bring up with your brother-in-law.
  1. The colonists had access to the same weapons as the military, as do we today - See District of Columbia v. Heller - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  2. 6 million dead Jews, along with tens of millions of other dead Russians, Chinese, Cambodians, Africans, etc. would disagree that only the governments should have the guns.
  3. If he is a liberal , ask him if he would want the Sarah Palin administration to only have the guns. This usually turns them around quickly if all else has failed.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:20 PM
Bronze Member

Ha Ha! I love the Palin thing! He just says he can't foresee ever having to overthrow a tyranical government. But I think that is the point. We still need to be able to have the same weapons as our government just in case. I don't think it will ever come to that either, but I do think that this is the exact reason our forefathers put the second ammendment in.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:44 AM
Silver Member

Your brother is an idiot. Ask him why he cannot be trusted with ANY firearm, for that is what he is saying. If he has to be restricted, he must not be responsible, and don't let him give you the same old, "but certain people should not have these things" crap. Restrictions are only for those who abide by them. Ask him why we have such a drug problem. There should be no problem, for they are "illegal". You probably will not get him to change his thinking, because it is not thinking, only "feeling", and as such, is almost always wrong and unchanging.
Yes, I should be allowed to have anything I want. My behavior is not a problem, so I will not use anything the wrong way. Libtards never see an individual, only a collective. Stupid is as stupid allows.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:13 AM
Platinum Member

Well every family has one. Some more. To answer your question however yes I believe law abiding, private citizens should be able to possess automatic weapons. Others make most of the points, but I believe I have a right to defend not only myself , and my family, but my property as well. I DON'T BELIEVE YOUR BROTHER HAS A RIGHT TO DECIDE HOW I'M GOING TO DO THAT. Rolling over is alway an option he can choose for himself. Have him take a ride along with almost any urban PD, and see if he can't see the enemy at the gate. At least ostriches are picky about where they bury their heads
Old 08-10-2011, 04:16 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by permaculture View Post
The colonists had access to the same weapons as the military,
I would put it as "the colonists had state of the art firearms."

The only restrictions as far as firearms go, were put on government.. as in "restrictive clauses" of the bill of rights; "shall not be infringed."

When I was young, these facts and the reasoning behind them were known and understood. Unfortunately, today, some people can't wrap their head around the notion that, The Constitution is law.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."-- Samuel Adams
Old 08-10-2011, 04:44 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARPERC View Post
I DON'T BELIEVE YOUR BROTHER HAS A RIGHT TO DECIDE HOW I'M GOING TO DO THAT.
Hypocritical. Why do you then have that "right?"
Quote:
yes I believe law abiding, private citizens should be able to possess automatic weapons.
That is you deciding who can own specific firearms, other than what the Bill of Rights prescribes.

Quote:
I believe I have a right to defend not only myself , and my family, but my property as well.
So shoplifters shouldn't have the right to self defense? How about jay-walkers?

The Law is specific.
Quote:
Amendment II
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
Every class of 'people' is included; to not include all "people" would be an "infringement."

Insuring "the security of a free State," is impossible if the State decides who is armed.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."-- Samuel Adams