Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

View Poll Results: 264 win mag or 7mm mag
264 win mag 99 38.22%
7mm rem mag 160 61.78%
Voters: 259. You may not vote on this poll

264 win mag vs. 7mm rem mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2013, 12:37 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 264 win mag vs. 7mm rem mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaho elk hunter View Post
Just finished a custom build for a customer this morning. I built it on a Remington Long action. I rarely use Remington's and have been known to actually refuse to use these actions. But the customer insisted and paid extra. I went out and shot the full load developments this morning and this is what I came up with. Long Remington action ( original a 8mm Rem) Custom Wyatt extended box mag. Bartlien 28 in Barrel progressive twist or t style rifling. Final twist rate 1 in 8.65. Left hand twist. 5R RIFLING. 175gr LR Accubond. 180 Berger would also work. Win Mag primer. Bullet seated way out! I am not going to give all info, this is what I get paid for. I use Retumbo exclusively for the heavy 7mm bullets. Lets say somewhat over 76 gr of powder. Bullet moly coated. Brake is of my own manufacture. etc. 3275 fps! This OUT POUNDS all 300 win mags that you or Broz claim to do. The form factor on the 7mm just out does the 30 cal. But I don't expect you to understand form factor. Some just argue. I like all calibers. but at the end of the day the 7mm and the 338 are superior calibers for North American game when it comes to long range. Go crawl in you cave and know that the real people that are not internet warriors are laughing at you. ( Brian Litz, John Lazzeroni, Myself and the rest of the educated world)
Lots of babbling man... Gist is you've built up a really fast 7mm rifle for a client on a m700 action and she'll do nearly 3300 fps with a 175. If it's a small enough case to only use 76 grains of powder to get there you need to be hitting 90,000 psi+. My guess is you are loading well over 100 grains of powder into the case, and if that's the case retumbo is to damn fast of a powder in a 7mm bore. You need to be looking at one of the powder offerings for the 50 bmg for this caliber type; ex. would be h50bmg, rl50, wc872. Good luck with the rl accubond; I'm getting the 150 to 3300 fps in my 24" bbl. 7stw at .5 moa accuracy, but some are having real accuracy trouble with them at high speeds; others are noticing they are pretty soft at high speed impact. Most are noticing the bc's are inflated so out-pound 10% off of the bc before you make the comparison.
Keep blowing smoke circles; it's fun to shoot arrows through them.

Last edited by Lefty7mmstw; 10-26-2013 at 01:33 PM. Reason: wording
Old 10-26-2013, 02:30 PM
Silver Member

Not sure what the pressures are but the bolt lift is smooth and there are no marks of any type on the case head. The usable case capacity is greatly increased when the bullet is seated way out there. Keep in mind the 8mm Rem action is a little different due to the longer case, the parent case of the 7mm stw. Then put a Wyatt extended box magazine to even further increase the usable case capacity and moly coat the bullet. I will say this, although I do not like the Berger for hunting it is overall a faster bullet that produces higher velocities with equal pressure.
When one takes 3/4 inch plywood, soaks it in water and backs it with wet newspaper the Berger blows apart or does not expand at all. It is kinda a all or nothing bullet.
The Nosler LRAB really punches the plywood and destroys the paper, Complete penetration.
I think the Berger collapses the hollow point to the inside and closes up, hence the non expansion,OR the hollow point opens up and it blows apart. Very unreliable on game. I think the bullets labeled hunting is a marketing ploy to sell bullets to hunters and are the same as target bullets. None the less If people want to use them then by all means use them. It makes me wonder how many animals are hit at long range and walk off not know which direction to run do to the distance of the shot.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:23 PM
Silver Member

From babbling to rambling. And you still haven't said the case is a 7RM.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:28 AM
Silver Member

Well it sure isn't a 7mm08! Wow bronze member! For all that doubt this look up adi 2225 in 7mm rem and see what others are getting. Babbling and Rambling is what you get on forum..Grow up..
Old 10-28-2013, 11:11 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaho elk hunter View Post
Well it sure isn't a 7mm08! Wow bronze member! For all that doubt this look up adi 2225 in 7mm rem and see what others are getting. Babbling and Rambling is what you get on forum..Grow up..
+ 1 Glad you are on lens site.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:38 PM
Silver Member

You still have not mentioned the cartridge. I wonder why.

I looked up the powder you mentioned. Nope, not seeing your velocity.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:57 PM
Silver Member

If you understood how everything works you might be able to see the light of day. EVERYONE is getting 3050 to 3070 with 24 in barrels. I molycoat, have a longer barrel and the bullet is seated out to a longer length than any normal action can handle. This is due to the Wyatt magazine. Winchester Primers also have to be used or you will lose 40 fps. Tis combination allows for greater powder capacity and lower pressures with more powder. HENCE HIGHER VELOCITY! Being a bronze member and having this described to you before makes us wonder how long you have been doing this or if your playing on daddy's computer.