Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

View Poll Results: 264 win mag or 7mm mag
264 win mag 104 39.39%
7mm rem mag 160 60.61%
Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

264 win mag vs. 7mm rem mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2013, 06:56 AM
Gold Member

Re: 264 win mag vs. 7mm rem mag

to me its like comparing the 270 to the 280 both are good and what one will do for the most part so will the other. I like and own both. If i could only have one rifle and had to choose between those two id look at it like this. Both will about do it all but if the largest game i was going to shoot would large mule deer or caribou id probably go with the 264. If what i huntted started with elk sized game and went up id take the 7mag. But truth be told with the right bulllet and load either will take any animal in the US and about the only animal that would make me feel underguned is a brown bear and id want more gun then either of them if I ever hunted them. Good thing is my pocket book would never allow that anyway. So whats my answer? Give me a 264. Its just old school and cooler
Old 08-23-2013, 10:19 PM
Platinum Member

I voted 7 mag as it is my "the stw won't eat it" bullet disposal system. I never buy things for the 7rem to start with (heck even my brass is giveaway from a couple of guys I know getting rid of their 7rems); it just get's the odds and ends of fiddling with overbore 7mm's for the last 15 years. My current 7rem is a converted adl I put a re-finished rem mountain rifle laminate stock on with fresh bottom metal. It shoots pretty well for a Wally world special with a re-worked stock and orphan bullets.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:16 PM
Silver Member

What ever a 264 and 308 will do a 7mm (284) will do better! That will get Broz all fired up..
Old 08-31-2013, 09:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaho elk hunter View Post
What ever a 264 and 308 will do a 7mm (284) will do better! That will get Broz all fired up..
No not fired up just wish you would prove some of your "Claims" But then I guess it is hard to prove something you read or just want to believe.

Now for the record, once more I will say I am a 7mm fan too, actually I really like them built off a 300 win case and have another one on slate, this will be number 4. But your statements that "a 7mm Rem can be loaded to out pound a 300 win" is simply something that ran out your mouth and you have yet to back this statement up.

So carry on, our little 7mm warrior. Many here have already figured you out, the rest will soon enough.

Love Jeff

Last edited by Broz; 08-31-2013 at 10:46 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:59 AM
Silver Member

Broz..If you had any understanding of anything here you would listen and not run yourself into the ground. I stated that a person could do this with a Std action and rifle. Go talk to the many that have taken a 26 in barrel. 7rm. 180 Berger since anything else to you is useless. molycoat it. feed it with a stout, max, load of retumbo, and a Win Mag primer. Since your so great and you get these thin skinned bullets to run great in a free bored rifle then freebore it to,,It will out pound a 300 win mag! I know you wont so please. Keep your ignorance to yourself
Old 09-03-2013, 09:32 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaho elk hunter View Post
Broz..If you had any understanding of anything here you would listen and not run yourself into the ground. I stated that a person could do this with a Std action and rifle. Go talk to the many that have taken a 26 in barrel. 7rm. 180 Berger since anything else to you is useless. molycoat it. feed it with a stout, max, load of retumbo, and a Win Mag primer. Since your so great and you get these thin skinned bullets to run great in a free bored rifle then freebore it to,,It will out pound a 300 win mag! I know you wont so please. Keep your ignorance to yourself
No what you said was a "7mm REM" can be loaded to out pound a 300 win. That is simply not true. You know it and that is why you would not provide the proof when I and other members asked you for the load to do this. Now you want to change it to any 7mm custom or chambering. You stated wrongful info about the 7 mm REM and now you are trying to side step it, and push it back on me, instead of simply admitting your mistaken statement.

No ignorance on this subject here. Just rude stubbornness on your part when you were politely asked to support your post.

Jeff
Old 09-03-2013, 10:05 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
No what you said was a "7mm REM" can be loaded to out pound a 300 win. That is simply not true. You know it and that is why you would not provide the proof when I and other members asked you for the load to do this. Now you want to change it to any 7mm custom or chambering. You stated wrongful info about the 7 mm REM and now you are trying to side step it, and push it back on me, instead of simply admitting your mistaken statement.

No ignorance on this subject here. Just rude stubbornness on your part when you were politely asked to support your post.

Jeff
In what other ways can I support it? I gave the load,, everything.. Many of us on here are getting tired of you and your attitude. Go shoot what ever you want at the paper targets. Just do not aim at me.. I wont take it.
AGAIN if you want to support the fact of the superiority of the .308 to the 284 the take a average of all the boattail bullets in 140 gr to 180gr and compare! You can even go to the higher grains in the .308 if you wish.
If you remember, and and can comprehend, I was comparing a 7mm rem mag to a 300 win mag. You twist it around and start wanting to compare it to the 30-378.
If others want to see the demeanor of this stubborn (back at ya) feller check out the thread on Ted Nugget.. Many others are tired of him. I bet he believes a schoolbus is more aerodynamic than a Ferrari.