Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

.221 fireball

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2006, 07:37 PM
Platinum Member

.221 fireball

I know that this isn't really a long range cartridge. Just for kick though, has anyone used these on varmits and if so in what rifle. Remington has one and cz. Just wondering what they were getting for accuracy.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:46 PM
Platinum Member

Re: .221 fireball

I've got a light-weight walking rifle in .221FB. With a max charge of Hodgdon's Lil'Gun and a 40gr Ballistic Tip (moly) I get 3,600 ft/sec. The little bugger shoots .5moa @ 200yds and has made numerous one shot kills on groundhogs out past 300yds.

The .221 is one addictive little cartridge and is easy to load for with several powders and bullet weights. Published reloading data (for rifle use) is available in the Nosler book.

Once you buy one you'll wonder why you waited so long.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:37 PM
Platinum Member

Ditto on what varmint hunter said.
I have a cz 221 fb ,i've glassbedded it adjusted the trigger down -way-low.
There is basically no recoil the gun just does an odd bounce at the shot.It wears a 4.5x14-44 zeiss scope and deserves it!
I've killed coyotes ,badgers ,crows ,hundreds of praire dogs ,elk -no sorry got carried away [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img].
Anyway they're great -i once shot mine for a few hours in absolutely no wind in new mexico [very odd] and i mean NO WIND.That little rifle smacked pd's out past 400yds ,i could spot my own hits and had a couple of guys laughing they're butts off at the little rifle the could!
One thing to watch out for is they're picky and tempermental to load for.Here's how i finally got mine tuned------> loaded 3 rounds starting .6 below max showed no pressure at max.Loaded 6 rounds at max shot .5-.6" twice =done.That was w/40 gr v-max ,decided to try 40gr nos bt's loaded 6 more =same thing .5"ish=done.Won't bore you w/the same redundent story w/52gr a-max.
Sorry so long but as you can see i love me a 221 fb!!!Mike

Edited to say i use 40gr nos bt w/ 20.7gr- AA 1680 powder ,cci small primer ,average vel.=3546
Old 12-05-2006, 10:32 PM
Platinum Member

sounds like its a kick in the pants little cartridge. I just got to find one first off then somehow get the money for it and to finish the rifle at the smith right now. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Just for question, Dou you guys suggest the 40 gr. or I think that they make down to either a 30 or 33 gr bullet. Its going to be used on little pestering vermin at less than 250. of course if I see a tempting chuck at longer range he may get lead flung at him. With my shooting skills he'll probablly be safe but then again I'll be burning something like 20gr. of powder or something so i can fling alot of lead before the barrel tells me to slow down. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-06-2006, 10:15 AM
Gold Member

I've had several .221 Fireballs and it's a fun cartridge - my current is a Rem 700 Classic.

LRH member #23
Old 12-06-2006, 11:04 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Screech,

I do not have a rifle in the 221 FB yet but I have had several XP-100 handguns in this round including my current very low SN XP-100.

I load the 50 gr Blitzking in mine to right at 2700 fps in the short 10 3/4" barrel. I only have a 2x luepold on the handgun but I will tell you inside 200 yards, the little handgun simply will not miss a gopher sized target if I do my part.

I have pulled off some shots where I just put the little XP Back in the case and realized I just had to enjoy it for myself because if I told anyone how far it will pop a P. dog they would simply call me a liar looking at it with its low powered scope.

After playing with that XP for several varmint seasons, I now have all the componants in the shop for a lightweight rifle in the same chambering.

If you start playing with the 221 FB you will be hooked on it as mentioned already, very addictive in an accurate firearm. I can not say how the rifles you mentioned will shoot but in a well built rifle or handgun, this is easily a sub 1/2 moa chambering.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 12-06-2006, 12:27 PM
Platinum Member

boy, I didn't know this little pip squeake had such a fan club. Im hoing to be able to find one and become a groupie