2013 SHOT Show® Day Three (17 Jan 2013)
- bits and pieces on the “ELR-related”, my take (alpha order). This finishes coverage of this year’s show (took three days on the floor to see and report on everything and I’ve already identified things I missed - which I’ll link to below). I hope you have enjoyed the commentary and pics. And I hope you find my website useful. If you have content links you think “match” the focus of my site, PLEASE e-mail me at email@example.com
. Thank you and God Bless!
NOTE: As before, ALL pics are at News.
1. AWC - introduced a shortened version of their T.H.O.R. PSR suppressor for .338. The new model is 6.25” long (my measurement) compared to the “current” 8” model.
2. Black Hills - asked them about 338 NM ammo sell through - “slow mover” (paraphrased).
3. Cutting Edge - introduced their “Extended Range (ER) Raptor” line of tipped projectiles; specifically ELR, the ER Raptor 338 in 176 gr. Info at https://cuttingedgebullets.com/cgi-b...ER_D176_RAPTOR
4. F&D Defense - rolled out their “FD338” and its was looking GREAT! Other than the (IMHO) atypical Vigilance VR1 from EDM, and the Noreen (OnlyLongRange) “Bad News 338 Lapua ULR”, this is currently the only other semi-auto 338 “available”. Built in “The Great State of...”, first deliveries are expected to be in about 6 months. And...their pricing is about $500 under the Noreen (and about one-half that of the VR1). Frankly (repeating myself), the hardware looks seriously great. I’m looking forward to some third-party range reports. Pic #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10.
5. Feddersen - finally the plan is moving on getting the “big” barrels back on the “new” site (will now be a dual product line website, 10/22 and the real deal).
6. Kelbly’s - I confirmed their triggers are still available, to be added to the new site soon. Totally missed for the crowd was the really great news, “.338 Lapua Magnum Actions and Complete .338 LM Rifles.” Pic from AccurateShooter.com.
7. Kinetic - added a few items for their chassis system - overmolded checkpiece, IMUNS mounting kit, and a new tripod adapter. While the largest version of their chassis, Whiskey 3, has been out a while, I couldn’t resist the chance for a few pics - #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6.
8. Lazzeroni - has added a Saturn round (loaded ammo) with NP3-coated, 375/350 SMKs.
9. Micor Defense - finally, in all its glory, the Micor Leader 50 (BMG) bullpup. One of the pics (#11) includes all the details, so...pic #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12. They are available direct-only for now (pre-order), distribution downstream, deliveries expected to begin in late Q2. Notes - a longer barrel option and a full length set of Pic-slots for the top rail are both already in discussion. The bipod pictured will be replaced with a more HD one.
10. NECO - has released the 20Dec2012 Data Update for QuickLOAD, QuickTARGET, and QuickTARGET Unlimited. Picked mine up at the show.
11. Pacific Tool and Gage (PTG) - for you Savage 110/338 LM fans, PTG has added a complete Savage LA bolt assembly (parts set) with “Nath Lambeth-inspired lift kit”. Smaller caliber bolt heads will, of course, also be available. MSRP: $300, delivery in about 4 weeks. Pic. Nath was in the booth and described what the “lift kit” is and does. [Paraphrased] The stock Savage cocking pin bottoms out in the bolt body, which sometimes results in a flyer. The kit provides Allen wrench-adjustment (rear entry) to move the full-forward travel of the cocking pin reward, to avoid bottom out. The kit also allows you to tension the firing pin and it reduces bolt lift pressure by 50-60%. PTG and Nath will both sell this product (another of the several products PTG sells of his). Nath also mentioned (1) he’ll be coming out with a Savage (and Remington) firing pin removal tool (as will PTG, by chance - totally different products except for what they do). It will also be distributed through PTG. (2) Late Q3/early Q4’13 - a 2 oz Savage trigger - “safe” and comparable to a Jewell (who currently doesn’t produce a trigger for the Savage). Nath noted that he regularly uses Basix triggers for Savage, for what that might tell you.
12. Prograde (website in development at www.progradeammo.com
) - announced ELR-cartridge, loaded ammo products (shipping in the March timeframe):
338 LM - (Match Grade) 250 and 300 gr Berger Match VLD, 300 gr SMK; (Tactical Grade) 250 gr Lapua scenar, 285 gr Barnes TAC-X, 300 gr. Lapua scenar; (Hunting Grade) 225, 250, and 300 gr Nosler AccuBond, 280 gr Barnes LRX.
50 BMG - (Match Grade) 750 gr Barnes TAC-LRBT; (Tactical Grade) 647 gr Barnes TAC-X-BT, 750 gr Barnes TAC-LRBT
13. Sightron - showed 3 new 6-24x50 scopes (1) SII SS, SFP - March; (2) FFP, Mil - late March; (3) FFP, MOA - June.
14. Timney - introduced a Savage AccuTrigger replacement trigger - adjustable, single stage, 1.5-4# pull, no creep. Black (#638) for $110 and silver (nickel, #638-16) for $120. Pic #1, #2.
15. Vortex - Viper HS 6-24x50 scope, second focal plane, BDC reticle, “late Spring” (site says “Fall 2013”).
16. Wiseman (Bill) - notwithstanding what it says on his website (“rifles - coming”, with several pics), he is shipping rifles, up to 338 LM, now! [See the “Services - Gunsmiths” page.]