Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

2- 257 WBYs which options on which action?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2006, 09:41 PM
Bronze Member

2- 257 WBYs which options on which action?

Ok in a previous post I mentioned that I had a rifle I really liked in 257 WBY and they do not make it anymore. The barrel in mine is gone for all practical puropses.

Now I am also having Shawn carlock build me a 257WBY on a Remington Action sort of as we speak. He has the action and trigger but, I am not sure what all he has done yet.

Well I decided to just rebarrel my Weatherby action to 257 as well.

Should I send it to Kreiger or Weatherby to get it re-barreled or have Shawn Carlock(sort of partial to him at this moment) do it?

Should I chamber the Weatherby action just like a stock gun or should I tighten it up for handloads? Or Should I have Shawn tighten the Rem 700 up for shooting reloads?

I was thinking I would keep 1 gun able to shoot factory ammo and 1 gun to shoot handloads with some heavier projectiles? I am just not sure what to do with each action?

Does it really matter?
Old 11-19-2006, 11:59 PM
Silver Member

Re: 2- 257 WBYs which options on which action?

If it were me I would send it to Krieger they have a bunch of old cranky Germans up there doing the work HAHA. Anyway they have done 3 semi customs for me. I just sent the gun and told them what I wanted. I have them basically put the barrel on the action and I do the rest. They have always done a very good job and there barrels rank up there with lilja these are the only two barrels I will use, WHY? I have never had any problems out of either one of them . I am not familiar with your smith if he is good you could just have him do the work. In my experiance when chambering the weatherby rounds you should make a point that you want the free bore diameter kept as small as possible something like 3K if they get it to big you will have to shoot flat based bullets out of it. I would leave the free bore but require the freebore diamenter to be small. I will say you have picked a great cartridge I love 1/4 bores and you seem addictied. I don't know what other guns you have but you might consider rechambering your weatherby for a differant caliber like a 300wby mag another awesome round.
I see you didn't want to give her up on the other post, darn it. I have owned several rifles in the weatherby cartridges and I will say the 300 and the 257 are the best in my book. between the two you can hunt anything you want except maybe P-dogs but this is what the good ole 223 is for.Good luck with your choices

Hope this helped but if not oh well I tried.

RH
Old 11-21-2006, 12:51 AM
Silver Member

Rotorhead,

You mind letting on how much that Krieger rebarrel ran you?

Thanks
Old 11-21-2006, 03:44 AM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
I am not familiar with your smith if he is good you could just have him do the work.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you do a search in this board, you'll find out there are some pretty awesome gun smiths that truly take pride in their work, Shawn Carlock is one of them. Not only that, the reports and feed back on their work is very impressive.

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 11-21-2006, 03:59 PM
Silver Member

What ever you do.........

have them use a reamer that has the leade shortened on it. All that freebore is good for is a loss in velocity and accuracy! How can the bullet get started straight having to jump .300? Better yet, send them a round with a bullet seated to the way you want it an have them throat the barrel for that cartridge. If Kreiger can't do it, then Pac Nor can.
Old 11-23-2006, 11:51 AM
Silver Member

zingdingo, I have about 370 plus shipping I use CM barrels so the bluing kept the price up a little. The worst thing is it does take a while.

keithcandler , They will do what ever you want them to. I agree you can do better by elimating the free bore, but the reason I say to leave the freebore is if you ever want to sell it you will have a bigger market because there are still alot of people that want to just by there ammunition and shoot.
Happy Thanksgiving
RH
Old 11-23-2006, 11:54 AM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am not familiar with your smith if he is good you could just have him do the work.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you do a search in this board, you'll find out there are some pretty awesome gun smiths that truly take pride in their work, Shawn Carlock is one of them. Not only that, the reports and feed back on their work is very impressive.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes your right for some reason at the time I wrote this I just didn't put two and two together, I must of been dreaming of my next hunt or something. He does have a great reputation and I wouln't hesitate sending anything to him from what I have read on theis forum/Kirby either.

Rh [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]