Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

15 y/o - 1385 yards. A Great Day!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2006, 02:24 AM
Platinum Member

15 y/o - 1385 yards. A Great Day!

Some of you may remember William my 15 years old youngest son, him and I went back to a place where we had been able to range a big rock at 1385 yards on a late afternoon, we had dialed in 36 MOA taken a shot at it and could not see with my 10x binoculars the impact since I had left home the tripod for the spotting scope. So I had marked a spot where I knew the distance to this particular rock was 1385 yards. Today, or yesterday 5-25-06 William and I went back, this time we had the spotting scope and the video camera. The wind was crazy; blowing between 12 and 21 mi/hr. not only that but was changing directions. William got ready, he was waiting for my instructions, I keyed in the elevation, bar. Pressure, humidity, temperature in Exbal, the program already knew I was using Berger 210 gr. At 3025 ft/s out of the 300 RUM LSS. I spoke loud due to the wind blowing, we were on the very top of a hill… 34 MOA + 3 CLICKS I said, I heard William saying “what about windage”… I said: 4 MOA 2 clicks to the right…. I figured the wind coming from 5:00 o’clock at an average of 15 mi/hr. gusting with some 21 mi/hr. William said “Ready”, I said “ Go ahead”… BOOM! 1.87 seconds latter a cloud of dust just to right of the rock, man! I was exited!!! The elevation was right on the money but not the windage. “Go to 3 MOA + 2 clicks instead… BOOM! Barely missed on the left side of the rock this time… to make a long story short, after we let the barrel cool down, there were two shots we did not see the impact, by now the wind was coming right at 6:00 o’clock, average of 15 mi/hr. William was going to take his fifth shot… I had him dial in zero (0 MOA) for windage… “Ready?” He yelled, “Ready I said”… BOOM!!! Now I was hilarious, yelling and real happy, “you hit it Billy, you hit it, you hit it” I figured from dead center of the rock he hit it about 5” low, just the number that came to my mind… I figured William is hooked real bad by now, and that which I did not do in my youth I would just have the pleasure to have William do and enjoy right along side our friendship. Longest shot I had seen… it really is a long ways away!!!

Note: I’m very impressed of my Weaver Grand Slam 4.5x14, its ability to track is short of impressive. I’m using the Burris rings with inserts to get some extra MOA and after I zeroed it in I had 36 MOA + 3 CLICKS left for adjustment… The adjustment will be good to the last click… Impressive!!!
Not bad for a factory rifle! I have to thank you all since I have learned from you all! God Bless you!

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 05-26-2006, 05:27 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 15 y/o - 1385 yards. A Great Day!

Now you need to find something a little more exciting than a rock to shoot at.
Old 05-26-2006, 05:32 AM
Gold Member

It wont be long he will be wanting to shoot one of them Lunarlopes that far.

good shooting
d-a
Old 05-26-2006, 08:58 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Contrats to you and your son on some fine shooting. With those wind conditions, hitting a target at that range increases in difficulty expodentially!!

Glad to see a son and dad shooting together, nothing much better then that.

Thanks for the report!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 05-26-2006, 09:20 AM
Platinum Member

Eaglet:

Congratulations to William on some great shooting. He probably couldn’t have done it without the help of his expert spotter though. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

If he spends the summer shooting at ranges like this, those furry critters will be in big trouble this fall when he takes his new skills out after another deer.

After he does some extended shooting at 1000-1500 yards ask him to take a shot at about 600-800 yards and see what he thinks. It’ll probably be a chip shot for him after gaining the experience at the longer ranges. Sounds like you guys have a lot of fun and that’s what dads and sons are all about.

Keep us posted on his progress with this longer range stuff. I think he’s hooked now. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-26-2006, 09:36 AM
SPONSOR

Eaglet real happy for you and your son. It is great when your kids enjoy being with you and shooting/hunting with you.

SEB Coaxial Front Rest - Dealer
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...t-by-sam-hall/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCsyjQr0Yrc

"Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh no.........they're awake!""
Old 05-26-2006, 11:03 AM
Platinum Member

Eaglet,
I would like to suggest you consider using a shooting dialogue for your long range shooting. Makes sure the spotter and shooter are on the same page.
When you both setup, shooter is in final point of aim (on target) and spotter has his scope focused on target (usually focused just in front of the target so you can see the mirage best), then the spotter starts by saying:
"Spotter is on the target." Now the shooter knows the spotter is ready to start.
Then the spotter gives the shooter his windage and elevation adjustments or hold-off. The shooter repeats them back to confirm he has made the adjustment or knows the hold-off.
When the shooter is ready, he simply says: "Shooter Ready". He stays on target but does not shoot.
Shortly after, after checking wind and mirage conditions the spotter says:
"Send It". After the shooter hears that he should fire within a few seconds if possible, to ensure he is firing in the wind condition the spotter called.
After the shot is gone, the shooter does a "Call". He says, "Broke Clean" if the crosshairs were properly positioned. If he pulled the shot he describes the crosshair situation, for example he might say, "High left" or "Broke Right" so the spotter knows he may have influenced where the bullet hit, not a wind change. We mark the following info for each shot, Elevation, Windage, Call, Hit in a vertical column, plus mark the impact location in a little box. We also note wind, light, temps etc. at the top of the page. I made up a simple 8 1/2 by 11 page that we Xerox to keep track of about 40-50 shots per page. Keep a ring-binder for this.
Please excuse if you know this stuff already.
You are very lucky to have a great buddy-partner.