Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Youth rifle (and maybe book) suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2012, 06:18 PM
Silver Member

Youth rifle (and maybe book) suggestions

I will be taking my daughter on her first hunt this year. We will likely go on a whitetail hunt on a lease near Llano TX and almost certainly a doe management hunt on private land here (below the Grand Mesa if it matters).

She has her own .22 and .410 and has shot my .223's, but honestly I have never shot any of the smaller centerfire chamberings other than .223 and .25-06. She is 8 and is learning to use a scope but the huge majority of her shooting has been with irons (or occasional red dot). She has never shot with a scope other than on my LeadSled.

I have a couple of .223's, but neither is appropriate (Stag M4 and a Rock River Varminter). I have a Wby .25-06 but I think that is too much cartridge for her size and I am certainly not monkeying with the stock on it!

I am leaning toward .243 but have no idea of what actual felt recoil is like. Would probably put a Viper 3-9x on it, I have had good experience with them and have a friend who is a dealer.

I am willing to spend a little coin on the rifle as it SHOULD suit her for years and my 6 year old daughter will be ready to hunt in a couple of years too.

I don't want a crappy Rossi break action or bottom end Savage like most people buy their kids though.

I grew up shooting and am a decent shooter but I am sure I have bad habits to break and do not want to teach her any, plus I just bought a Wby AccuMark .30-378 so it would not hurt for me to hone my skills some, a good rifle shooting book would be probably not be a bad thing.

Any thoughts appreciated.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:29 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Youth rifle (and maybe book) suggestions

Will it be used just for deer?

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE CUSTOM

"Dope that scope and tickle that giggle switch"

~Doublezranch

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 05-13-2012, 06:41 PM
Silver Member

Deer, maybe javelina and hogs (I'll keep her on little pigs) and who knows; could be some yotes or p-dogs. (but for the latter two I can put her prone with my Varminter)

When it comes time for her to hunt elk (or a true muley buck hunt) I think she will be MUCH bigger, it is just a much harder hunt in my experience. The TX whitetail would likely be out of a stand and the doe hunts here would likely not be more than a couple hundred yard hike from the truck.

When it is time to step up to a larger caliber, it will probably be time to step up to a larger gun. I have no problem buying her a 7mag or .30 of some flavor in a few years, it's part of the fun!

I am certainly not trying to find her a "do-all" type gun, if I were that guy I wouldn't have a safe full of guns. Finding different guns for different tasks is part and parcel to this hobby.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:44 PM
Silver Member

pic of me and my little hunter for good measure:

Old 05-13-2012, 07:17 PM
Gold Member

I would get her a 6.5 Swede.....or a Rem 260 or something like that. I would add a quality break and let her focus on the shot.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty to throw off such governments. …” Jefferson

We are very close to this point now.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:40 PM
Bronze Member

i use to hunt outside of llano when i lived in texas, used everything from a 243 to a 45-70 on deer and hogs out there and ill tell you that 243 will work just fine on a llano deer and my hog rifle of choice was a savage 22-250 shooting them behind the ear while they eat under a feeder was too easy.

do take an other look at savages as customizing them is not hard and wont brake the bank. i put together a 260 for my wife bought a stock painted it pink with black spider webbing looks sweet.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:39 PM
Platinum Member

I would get her a 7mm-08 it has a HUGE selection of bullets and when the time comes she could take an elk or mule deer with no problem at a sane distance.

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE CUSTOM

"Dope that scope and tickle that giggle switch"

~Doublezranch

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/