Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Your pick 7mm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2013, 12:32 PM
Gold Member

Your pick 7mm

If you were to have a cusom rifle built for Mostly deer and some elk in the .284 what would you have built? Action, Bl, stock etc.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:15 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Your pick 7mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Duerr View Post
If you were to have a cusom rifle built for Mostly deer and some elk in the .284 what would you have built? Action, Bl, stock etc.
If inside of 1,000 yards for both deer and elk.....I would go 7mm Rem Mag over .280 AI, just because of that extra 150-200 fps for the elk. If you factor in elk shots inside of 750-800 yards, and deer out to 1,000 yards, I would say .280 AI would suit you perfectly.

But if you plan on shooting deer 99% of the time, inside of 1,000 yards, and plan on range shooting it alot, and want better barrel life, less recoil, better brass life, and a more efficient cartridge, I would go with the .280 AI.

Action - Trued stainless/jeweled Rem 700
Barrel - Rock Creek 26" (finished length) 5R stainless & fluted sendero contour 1:9 twist, SAAMI .280 AI chamber
Stock - HS Precision original Sendero stock
Floorplate - Rem stainless LA Standard
Base - EGW HD 20 MOA picatinny (aluminum)
Rings - TPS TSR aluminum, low-height
Scope - Vortex Viper HS Long Range FFP 6-24x50 XLR MOA reticle

Bullets- Berger 168 VLD
Brass - Nosler Custom .280 AI brass
Powder - IMR 7828 SSC
Primer - Federal 210 Gold Medal Match (GMM)

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:43 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
If inside of 1,000 yards for both deer and elk.....I would go 7mm Rem Mag over .280 AI, just because of that extra 150-200 fps for the elk. If you factor in elk shots inside of 750-800 yards, and deer out to 1,000 yards, I would say .280 AI would suit you perfectly.

But if you plan on shooting deer 99% of the time, inside of 1,000 yards, and plan on range shooting it alot, and want better barrel life, less recoil, better brass life, and a more efficient cartridge, I would go with the .280 AI.
)
+1

You can hear the words 'deer and elk' so often that you will naturally think there is one rifle that is perfect for both. Best of luck with that.

Try thinking 'elk and moose' vs 'deer and coyote'
Now pick two rifles, one for each.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4bycamper View Post
+1

You can hear the words 'deer and elk' so often that you will naturally think there is one rifle that is perfect for both. Best of luck with that.

Try thinking 'elk and moose' vs 'deer and coyote'
Now pick two rifles, one for each.
Yep. I've never killed an elk, but I know they're pretty big. But just like anything on earth, can be killed by something small if the shot placement is key.

If I were to hunk elk @ 1000-1500 yards, 7mm STW or 7mm AM with some Berger 180 VLD's would be the best 7mm for the job.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:17 PM
Gold Member

Deer and Coyote Elk and Moose ................ I've heard that some place else.

Ever read the book "Hell I was there" Elmer Keith.

Elmer never said much about the .270 not until Jack O'Conner died.

After that he wrote and article in Guns and Ammo The .270 is only good up to Antelope, its better suited for just Coyotes. So its Antelope and Coyotes.

For Deer dont use a bullet less than a .333 or better yet use the .333 OKH
Old 08-28-2013, 04:33 PM
Gold Member

[QUOTE=MudRunner2005;843807]Yep. I've never killed an elk, but I know they're pretty big. But just like anything on earth, can be killed by something small if the shot placement is key.

If I were to hunk elk @ 1000-1500 yards, 7mm STW or 7mm AM with some Berger 180 VLD's would be the best 7mm for the job.[/QUOTE]

You might want to check your ballistic charts, the 7mm mags drop off hard after 700 to 800 yards. ( I shoot a 7 mm and limit myself to 700 max. )
Now compare all this drop off to a 300 win mag with 208s or a 338 win mag with
225s. See what I mean?

Killing your elk and harvesting your elk are two different things.
Lets say you shoot your elk in the Colorado mountains with a lesser calliber. If you're around 300 yards away and he knows you're there, odds are good the elk will walk away for quite a ways. Maybe a mile. So it's 50/50 another hunter will see and shoot and kill this 'dead elk', tag him, and harvest him. In this way your once in a lifetime elk rack will be hanging on someone else's wall.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:44 PM
Platinum Member

Oh boy..Yippi , here we go again...

Jeff