Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Your opinion - which should i buy???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2010, 01:56 PM
Bronze Member

Your opinion - which should i buy???

Guys,

Your opinions please. I'm seeking a replacement workhorse rifle that will generally be used and abused in dense Scottish woodland for deer stalking. Now reliability and dependability are more important than any fancy new hot calibres so i've decided on a .270 win.

I've sourced two rifles and would value your opinion:

1. I can pick up a basic new Savage 111. Black plastic stock, blued metal and that's about it. Mods will include replacing the stock, fitting a moderator and fitting a decent Zeiss scope.

2. Second option in a second hand Winchester 70 Featherweight that has seen very little use. It's a little bit cheaper than the savage, but not enough to matter. Mods will include replacing the stock, fitting a moderator and Zeiss scope.
pics of the Winchester are below:

So, which would you choose???
Old 04-26-2010, 04:27 PM
Gold Member

Re: Your opinion - which should i buy???

Just out of curiousity - is a moderator over there what a muzzle break or recoil reducer is over here?

If you are looking for an opinion - I'd vote for the Savage.
Haven't seen one yet that I would classify as "bad". Vast majority of the ones I have been around are real shooters. Not only that - you can change the barrel out on your own should you ever choose and there are a lot of parts now available from various sources. Savage quality for an over the counter rifle is as good as it gets for the price.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:38 PM
Bronze Member

Cowboy, a moderator is what you guys would call a silencer. A pretty regular addition to any stalking rifle here in the UK. All my stalking/hunting rifles have one.

Thanks for your vote.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:58 PM
Platinum Member

+1 w/cowboy. Unless your willing to borescope the Winchester if it's being sold by someone unknown to you. IMHO I wouldn't buy any used rifle again from someone I don't know unless I could check it.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:43 PM
Gold Member

Agree with Chas. Check it out and if it looks good go with the winchester. I have killed quite a few mulies with that same gun and caliber. Good Luck!
Old 04-26-2010, 07:58 PM
Platinum Member

Model-70 Win ALL THE WAY!!!!! Hey guys Im not trying to make enemies here, but youd be hard pressed to give me a Savage, and think Id be seen in public with it if there was a Winchester anywhere near by.
The phrase ''this aint your fathers Oldsmobile'' and ''the NEW Savage'' are one and the same to me. It may be newer........but its still a Savage or Oldsmobile IMO.
Yes there are many whod disagree. But my whole family has trusted Winchester for generations, and Im no exeption. My opinion will not change. If you like Savage more power to you. But Im solidly in Winchester's corner. Better trigger. Better fit and finnish, and its a legacy, and an icon here in America with a history of helping keep America free. That may, or may not mean much to folks in Scotland, but it does to me here, and is part of the reason for my opinion. ''The riflemans rifle'' hands down over the Savage.
Oh ya and accuracy has not been a problemb with any in my collection.
Sorry Cowboy, and Chas1. This is the first time I know of that we've disagreed Chas1, but its on a matter of deep rooted opinion and love for my Winchesters, that I gotta dissagree. I here ya on the used gun opinion tho.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 04-26-2010, 08:22 PM
Platinum Member

winmag, no disagreement. Whether a sav, remy, win or whatever i'd borescope it only because you never know how many rounds have been down any rig or how well the barrel/gun was cleaned/taken care of. I wasn't implying to borescope because it's a win. I've owned and liked Winchesters and used to feel that way about remy's but remy's quality has gone down hill generally speaking. No offense, I think we're on the same page. lol