Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Your All Around Rifle and Cartridge Combination

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2014, 11:28 PM
Gold Member

Re: Your All Around Rifle and Cartridge Combination

Every year I kill more and more stuff with Spitz bt solids . They work great and don't usually ruin much meat. .
Take the 308 or 06 for instance. Shoot many smaller animals with expanding bullets and its gonna make a big mess. Use an fmjbt and it pokes a hole thru things let's the air out without destroying lots of things. . But hey. I'm not gonna argue about it. . I've killed black bear with 1 223, 55 gr fmjbt. 1 shot 1 dead bear. When you can't get anymore ammo you need to make every shot count. If your gun is feeding several people its important not to waste anything. Including an animals brains. Brain tanning hides is very effective. Neck shots work well for that.

In a shtf scenario many people will try to survive by plundering . Something to keep in mind for the use of your rifle.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:48 AM
Silver Member

What kind of bear? I used to hunt in Grizzly country and I would not want a light calibre for that situation. If I wanted to be able to dispatch large bear AND go to 600 yards I would go for the 300 win mag. If I can keep the shots under 400 I would pick the 375 H&H. I have shot everything from jackrabbits to moose with mine and they all died
Old 06-06-2014, 06:05 AM
Gold Member

if meat damage became a problem with my 06 I would load a reduced 110gr. Speer 40gr. Imr 3031 @ 2200fps. For the small critters...

an armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

guns have only two enemies, rust and politicians

know guns,know peace,know safety.no guns,no peace,no safety...

The second amendment is in place incase the politicians ignore the others

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

For those who trade liberty for security have neither Benjamin Franklin...
Old 06-06-2014, 07:45 AM
Platinum Member

A 300 Win mag in a Rem 700 with a Zeiss 3-12X56 would be my pick with various hand loads.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:04 AM
Platinum Member

If I could have 1 rifle from 0-800 yards but have multiple loads for it...

It would be a worked-over Rem 700 with a 26" Bartlein 5R 1:9 Rem Varmint contour barrel in an old HS Sendero stock (no palm swells) chambered in 7mm RemMag. With a NF NXS 5.5-22x56 HS ZS MOAR locked in with Seekins rings and an EGW HD rail.

And my 2 go-to loads would be 7828 SSC pushing either 168 VLD or 180 VLD or Hybrids out of Nosler brass with Fed 215M primers.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:21 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Trigger Finger View Post
Every year I kill more and more stuff with Spitz bt solids . They work great and don't usually ruin much meat. .
Take the 308 or 06 for instance. Shoot many smaller animals with expanding bullets and its gonna make a big mess. Use an fmjbt and it pokes a hole thru things let's the air out without destroying lots of things. . But hey. I'm not gonna argue about it. . I've killed black bear with 1 223, 55 gr fmjbt. 1 shot 1 dead bear. When you can't get anymore ammo you need to make every shot count. If your gun is feeding several people its important not to waste anything. Including an animals brains. Brain tanning hides is very effective. Neck shots work well for that.

In a shtf scenario many people will try to survive by plundering . Something to keep in mind for the use of your rifle.
The FMJ idea is understandable, but when you are putting meat on the table, why take the chance of wounding and losing the animal? I don't want to argue either, it's your choice as a do all cartridge.

I wouldn't really say this is a SHTF situation. More like living like mountain men did. You only have one rifle, plenty of supplies available, just you have to take varying sized game with one selected rifle and cartridge. Most of the mountain men only had one rifle or musket in some cases and had to fend with what they had from killing fox and beaver to taking down elk and grizzly. If they could do it with black powder muzzle loaders, I'm sure we could all do it with our preferred high powered rifles.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:23 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
If I could have 1 rifle from 0-800 yards but have multiple loads for it...

It would be a worked-over Rem 700 with a 26" Bartlein 5R 1:9 Rem Varmint contour barrel in an old HS Sendero stock (no palm swells) chambered in 7mm RemMag. With a NF NXS 5.5-22x56 HS ZS MOAR locked in with Seekins rings and an EGW HD rail.

And my 2 go-to loads would be 7828 SSC pushing either 168 VLD or 180 VLD or Hybrids out of Nosler brass with Fed 215M primers.
That's a good setup! I was thinking of choosing the 7mmRM myself, but don't have any personal use with one so didn't want to choose something I don't know anything about.