Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Are You a Victim of Marketing, "Keeping Up With The Joneses"?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2012, 09:57 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Are You a Victim of Marketing, "Keeping Up With The Joneses"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338winmag View Post
I wrote a different reply but decided to retract. I did not take it anywhere other than your intension of open forum. Let me see. the title Are You a Victim of Marketing.. implies exactly what you got for replies..

Then you state "This thread may get controlversial, people will probably get offended and mass flaming will ensue."

Then to top it off.. a sponser practically calls me a jealous communist and the original poster states I took it in a totally different dirrection and agrees with the sponser???

No offense taken here. My sincere apologies. My fault. My bad. my complete request for forgiveness for misinterpretting, misunderstanding and mistating a controversial reply.

So my reply should be.....and no I am not a victim of marketing because I don't drink all the un-scientific, disproven, and false manufacturer kool-aid that many do because they believe they read and glean proven reliable claims from people that validate their claims with consistent repeatable results ..... but only to find out shortly after drinking the kool-aid, that most of these validated results are a one time out at the range lucky 3 shot group, never again to be repeated.

My point IS to reflect on the fact that we fall for marketing gimics appealing to our desire to "keep up with the Jones", or BE the Jones; but in reality much of it is uneccessary expense that provides little practical value. I have personally been working on sorting out which of my desired modifications are neccessary or practical and which are marketing gimmicks.

My point is NOT to label capitalism as "extortion", nor blame "the rich" because people choose to buy dumb crap. People are free to market as they wish and people are free as they wish. What you are advocating sounds like "Blame the 1%" BS. My point is NOT to blame anyone else, or lack of regulation for my inability control my envious desires.

That being said, I figured this would ellicit some controversial responses and you are welcome to share yours. I tend to agree with you on that last paragraph above. However, I didn't intend nor anticipate this thread going in a political direction; hence why I said I was fine with this thread dying--because I prefer not disrespect the forums terms.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:49 PM
Gold Member

Re: Are You a Victim of Marketing, "Keeping Up With The Joneses"?

I think some forget the rules of this site here they are so please read

This board was created for the expressed purpose of discussing the methods, equipment and techniques of Long Range Hunting without the burden of discussing or debating ethics. Although we all individually have ethics and limitations on what we consider correct, WE DO NOT discuss, nor will we tolerate, discussions of ethics on this site. We are here to learn and share methods, techniques and equipment ideas. This web site and all related or referenced materials and links are solely and strictly for informational purposes. Moreover, this web site is intended solely for the dissemination of information for lawful purposes to Long Range Hunters. The individuals who maintain or contribute written material to the web site known as Long Range Hunting take no responsibility, nor will they be held liable in any way, for unlawful acts that are claimed to have been "inspired" by, motivated by, or suggested by anything presented at this web site. You, as a visitor to this web site, are warned that you, and you alone, are responsible for your own actions at all times, and that you will be held responsible for any unlawful acts you perform.

Long Range Hunting will, at any time and at its own discretion, remove comments deemed to be offensive, including, but not limited to, comments which include vulgarity, racism, or any act of unlawfulness. Long Range Hunting makes no claims or representations with respect to any product or procedure discussed or referenced on this page. Visitors to this web site are advised to conduct their own investigations into the quality, adequacy, or propriety of the product or procedure. Further, Long Range Hunting makes no claims or representations with respect to any handloading information contained on this page. Any person using handloading information obtained from this page must remember that each gun/load combination will result in different pressures and any handloader must work up from a minimum load to any load listed on this web site, keeping in mind the safety of the handloader and those around him.

1) This is a privately owned site developed to foster discussions about Long Range Hunting between like minded hunters.
2) We do not discuss ethics. To do so will result in the post or posts being edited or deleted.
3) Public personal attacks between board members will not be tolerated. Fight via e-mail if you wish but not in public.
4) Troublesome individuals (trolls) or members that appear to be fostering arguments or disagreement will be dealt with in various manners from permanent removal to censorship.
5) Foul language serves no purpose here and is not appreciated; leave it on the other sites. This applies to inappropriate pictures as well. They will not be allowed.
6) Racist remarks will not be tolerated.
7) Posts that are in obvious violation of the law will not be tolerated and the offending member will be reported to the proper authorities.
8) There will be no threads started for the purpose of airing your problems with individuals, suppliers or manufacturers. (Complaint Threads) Handle those issues privately.
9) No posts of a religious nature.
10) No political posts of any kind including 2nd amendment topics. Itís too bad but all of these political topics have become too divisive for the members.
11) Rules are subject to change to meet the needs and desires of the members and owner.
Submission Policy. By contributing or submitting content in the form of forum postings, photographs, or any other content, you automatically grant (or warrant that the owner of such rights has expressly granted) us an irrevocable, royalty-free, transferable and worldwide right and license to use, copy, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and sell and distribute such materials or incorporate such materials into any form, medium or technology without compensation to you. None of the materials shall be subject to any obligation of confidence on the part of LONG RANGE HUNTING, LLC. Do not submit or post anything on the LONG RANGE HUNTING, LLC website unless you understand and agree that LONG RANGE HUNTING, LLC will own what you submit. Specifically, all content or submissions (collectively "Submissions") shall be deemed, and shall remain, the property of LONG RANGE HUNTING, LLC and you hereby assign all rights in the Submissions to us.

Board FAQ
Here you can find answers to questions about how the board works. Use the links below or the search box above to find your way around.

General Forum Usage
User Profile Features
Reading and Posting Messages