Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

You Gotta See This

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-19-2005, 09:39 PM
Bronze Member
You Gotta See This

I was watching the outdoor chanel tonight and saw this. Link

Link 2

Unread 02-19-2005, 09:48 PM
Silver Member
Re: You Gotta See This

I would think that this is similar to allowing the barrel to rest in stock, which is to take out or change the harmonics of the barrel. Were they using the product?

Unread 02-19-2005, 10:09 PM

What a joke! It may help sporter contour barrels if it is in the perfect spot by changing the "node of vibration".
I'll take 10 of those, two tasco pronghorns, and a pet rock
Unread 02-20-2005, 07:36 AM

Having just returned from the Harrisburg Sportsman show.. I saw a guy selling this bi-pod like shooting sticks type thing... the gimmick was that it was manufactured in such a way that the V portion would grasp the barrel with a clamp like system and hold on... until you forcable removed it from the barrel...
Me being the antagonist I am at times... I asked the guy in the middle of his demonstration if that affects barrel harmonics... he said not it makes the rifle more accurate... I asked him to explain "how so" and also why doesn't it affect barrel harmonics if it is in direct contact with the barrel.... his reply was.. that isn't part of my demonstration...
anything to make a buck off the ignorant or unsuspecting consumer....
Unread 02-20-2005, 12:06 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Again the industry is trying to put a bandaid on the real source of the problem.

Yes, this may well allow the barrel vibration patterns to be tuned a bit but if the rifle makers would start building rifles with quality machining there would be no reason for such gimmicks.

Inconsistant barrel vibtation is nearly 100% caused by poor or loose barrel thread fit to the receiver.

In one of our custom rifles which are threaded with an extremely quality class 3 thread fit, the barrel still vibrates as the bullet travels down the bore but it is consistant from shot to shot.

This is the reason that most full custom rifles or rebarreled rifles that have the receiver accurized will generally shoot most bullet weights to very nearly the same point of impact at 100 to 200 yards even with the velocity change.

I once tested this in one of my 257 Allen Mag test rifles while doing velocity testing. I had 8 different loads using the same bullet, at 100 yards I shot four shots into one group and the other four into a second group.

The velocity spread of the first four shots was 185 fps and the group measured under 0.3". The second four had a velocity variation of 205 fps and this group measured just over 0.5" ctc.

Combining the entire 8 shot group, the first four shots would have landed inside the second groups outer edge so with a velocity variation of nearly 400 fps, the group size was barely over 0.5" at 100 yards CTC.

Try this test with a factory rifle and see what the results are.

Point is they want you to spend money to solve a problem that can not be solved with "add-ons". Quality machining is critical to fine consistancy and unfortunately the big rifle makers have chosen to skimp on this area in favor of mass production rifles.

IT is sad really, well, as a custom rifle builder, its good for me and my customers!!!

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)
Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page:
Unread 02-20-2005, 02:21 PM
Bronze Member

Guys, Please do not think that I posted this to say that I thought it would work. If it works fore someone Great.

But you won't catch one on my Barrel. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

But it will be fun to walk into camp and see them on rifles of your buddy. It should give us all something to [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] about. And I bet every one of us will see this.
Unread 02-20-2005, 06:27 PM
Platinum Member

Well it's cheap enough to try. Or wait & see.
I was brousing through US Patents just the other day and seen the claims for this and reference claims going many years back. I didn't save any links though.
It isn't a tuner. It doesn't tune or effect tune. It's suppose to reduce the ever reflecting accoustic wave discussed lately with OBT theory(optimum barrel time- snipershide). The claim relates to a specially tuned type of rubber(NOVACAM), which is similar in my view to sorbothane(also tuned). Sorbothane converts some mechanical energy to heat. So ya just never know. I have a rebarreled A-bolt in 6br with a lighter, sendero type contour. It shoots pretty good, so maybe I'll try it with this and see if things improove further. Call me gullable, but I love toys. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]