Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Yet another question( Neck Sizing)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2004, 06:11 AM

Re: Yet another question( Neck Sizing)

New developments

I figured I'm awake...why not do some tests. I went thru a batch of about 50 cases...Tried to chamber them..Still getting that tick or bump right before closing the bolt. After looking carefully at the cases (fired cases) I notice the ones that are giving me that bump..or tick after extracting the fired case..The mouth of the case is now rough or burred on a small part of the case mouth..before it goes in the chamber..it's smoth and has powder residue on it...When I extract the fired case it has this burr on a part of it.

So..Run it thru the neck sizing die and try to chamber again..Still have the rough spot ot bump or tick when closing the bolt. Extract...now I trim the case..it was at 1.903..I trim to 1.900 and try to chamber it again..no tick..no bump or rough spot.

Hmmm, could be the cases nneded a trim...But that little amount is causing the rough bolt close or bump? Why am I getting that burr after extracting the case. Remember..these are cases that were previously fired in the same gun.

Yet another new develpment..I had one case after neck size and trim that still gave me that bump...So I F/L sized it...Now it's fine..Before sizing it I used the stoney point gauge and got 3.560 at the shoulder with the stoney point. After F/L size I used the stoney point and got 3.559.5 and now it chambers.

Oh one more thing...Every single case I have that has been fired also has a flat spot on the case mouth...Very small but the mouth is no longer perfectly round..It has this little flat spot. From extracting maybe?

Aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Hope I'm explaining all this OK.

Thanks in advance for the help

Joe

[ 08-08-2004: Message edited by: lablover ]
Old 08-08-2004, 08:17 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Lablover,

Everything you are discribing is relatively typical of the Rem 700 action.

THe burred case mouth is from a couple possibilities.

1. Your cases may be a little long.

2. When you full length size, you may be getting just a tick of loose headspace and when the striker hits the primer it rams the case up into the lead of the chamber. When the round ignites the case walls are blown out and it grips the chamber and then as chamber pressure raises to max, the case head is pressed back against the bolt face.

When you open the bolt, the case mouth is still forced into the lead and as the bolt rotates to open, the case usually will as well with normal loads and it shaves a small burr up on the case mouth.

The small flat on the side of the case mouth is also common with the factory Rem 700. This is generally caused by an overly heavy ejector spring.

When the case is extracted and it leaves the chamber, it is slammed into the right inside of the receiver. Most factory ejector springs are far heavier then they need to be. In a case with a thin case mouth, this will but a small flat on the case mouth.

The cure, install a lighter ejector spring. This is a standard operation when I accurize a 700. Not only does it greatly reduce this problem, it also keeps the brass from flying all over hell and into the dirt while out varminting.

It also aids in accuracy as there isn't as much pressure trying to cant the chambered round in the event the case is a loose fit in the chamber.

Good Shooting!!!

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 08-08-2004, 09:07 AM
Bronze Member

Lablover,
Everyone here has pretty much gone over everything so I won't add much. Like Fiftydriver was saying "the casing may be a little long".

But, just one thing to add: I have never experienced this problem in my 700's such as what Fiftydriver has mention "was common for these rifles". I own (8) 700's and have reload for many others for past 28 years now and have never seen this problem. But also like what Fiftydriver said about lighten up the ejector spring would be a good idea...I have done this to all of mine also.

But anyway, I am sure in time you will find the problem.....good luck.
---------------
Zod
Old 08-08-2004, 02:54 PM

Hopefully I can have this sent to fiftydriver and have it rebarreled and maybe some stock work done to it. It does shoot well so I might leave well enough alone for this year??

I do know I'm hooked on these 22 calibers now. I still love my big bores but these are a blast to shoot.

Joe
Old 08-08-2004, 03:01 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Lablover,

Send it whenever, I'll tune here up for you and even add a supercharger if you like. Just sent out two rifles I tunes up and rechambered the factory barrels.

They were both Rem 700's in 22-250 that I printed, and rechamebred to the very hot 22-6mm AI.

They are getting 4200 fps easlity with the 55 gr Blitzking and getting groups in the 3's and 4's to boot.

These groups are not AMAZING but for this velocity and out of factory barrels, its not to bad at all.

When ever your ready just let me know.

Good SHooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com