Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

XHS 338 Allen Magnum from APS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2012, 04:19 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

XHS 338 Allen Magnum from APS

Well, Just wanted to post some pics of a rifle that I just finished up today. The rifle is finished in a Tungstun cerakote finish. This is the first time I have used this color finish and must stay I am more then impressed. Its actually quite a bit darker then what the camera shows but you get the idea.

This XHS is the 62nd XHS to leave my shop and in all honesty, it probably ranks easily in the top 3 of my favorite. I build all my rifles as if I were building them for myself but I would love to put this one in my personal safe!!!

Just wanted to share some pics.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 07-29-2012, 04:47 PM
Platinum Member

Re: XHS 338 Allen Magnum from APS

Very nice looking rifle!!
Old 07-29-2012, 08:07 PM
Platinum Member

That is pretty sexy Kirby. Some lucky customer is gonna be very very happy.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 07-29-2012, 09:55 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for sharing, that's a pretty slick looking rifle!
Old 07-29-2012, 10:05 PM
Silver Member

Sweeeet!
Old 07-30-2012, 06:37 PM
Silver Member

Hey Kirby let's hear your opinion on the G7 scope and what is the difference in the regular nightforce? How does the turret system work? I never thought id see on of those on a 338 Allen mag! That is one beautiful rifle by the way!
Old 07-30-2012, 11:34 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Will be on the range in the morning and will be able to offer a meaningful opinion after that. First impressions is that its basically a NF NXS 5.5-22x 50mm with a different reticle and the windage turret is a covered turret meaning that you have to unscrew the cap before you can make an adjustment. Other then that it seems to be identical to any other NF NXS.

The turret is simply the NF high speed turret with 20 moa per revolution, nothing unique there.

Again, I have to shoot the rifle before I can offer much on the reticle. I am a bit confused about this scope to be honest. I can not really tell what its designed to be used for to be honest. If its designed for hold over shooting, it has a VERY limited amount of hold over points so you will not be able to reach out that far. If its designed for dial up shooting, I am not sure what advantage it offers over a NXS with NP-R1 reticle.

I am not a huge fan of the covered windage turret. I think the scope is designed to be used using the reticle for hold off shooting for windage but again, that works fine for moderate range shooting but for true long range shooting, I think dialing for windage is a better choice. You can certainly do that with this scope but you have to remove the turret before you can do that. If your in a heated situation, you better get that turret off before the shooting starts just in case an adjustment is needed.

All in all, I am sure its full NF quality obviously, just not terribly sure what makes it better then a NF NXS and in my opinion, I think I would prefer a standard NP-R1 NF NXS.

BUT again, until I get it on the range and get some bullets in the air, this is just all opinion and really means nothing. Will report more tomorrow.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com