Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

X-Bolt or Model 70?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2011, 02:10 PM

X-Bolt or Model 70?

Hey everyone! I'm new to this forum and fairly new to rifle hunting. I'm looking for a new rifle and have narrowed it down to the Winchester Model 70 and the Browning X-Bolt. Can any of yall shed some light on my decision! Performance? Thanks!
Old 11-27-2011, 02:21 PM
Silver Member

Re: X-Bolt or Model 70?

Never owned or shot a Browning X-bolt but I have a longtime love affair with the M70. In fact I just snagged a M70, 7MM RM Wally-world gun, took it out yesterday and shot it a few times with factory Winchester 150 grain power points that have been in the ammo stash for at least 10 years. The first shot after wiping out the barrel and mounting a scope landed about 3/4" right of the aiming point, the next 3 went into a .3 cluster with 2 in the same hole. The is the second rifle I have come up with in the last month or so to use for a donor action for a .264WM project. I keep shooting them first and at this rate I'll never get one to tear apart.

Sorry to stray O/T, personally I would get the M70.

Bob
Old 11-27-2011, 02:40 PM
Platinum Member

Model-70 hands down, in my heavily bias opinion.

More aftermarket parts from just about anywhere, wich translates to easier, & less expensive upgrades not to mention finding a smith who will work on one. Better angle on bolt for caming. Mauser style extractor claw. Not clip fed, so you aren't hampered for long c.o.a.l. (you can load longer-higher b.c. bullets without limmiting magizine length) The old A-bolt triggers absolutely sucked, don't know about X-bolt. I was also warned about horrible threads on action/barrel connection when I was considering building my old a bolt. Don't know if it still holds true with x bolt.
I'm a Model-70 freak, & have a bunch of them already anyway, so I'm heavily bias, but every single one of those factors mentioned convinced me that, while Brownings are nice rifles, I don't need one. If I ever have a problemb with a Model-70 I can always find a smith willing to work on it, & parts availability when I need it.

I'm not bashing Browning here, I'm simply pointing out a few things to consider. If you want to leave your rifle completely as is from factory, & shoot factory ammo, I guess it wouldn't matter.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 11-27-2011, 03:03 PM
Bronze Member

I own examples of both rifles; a Model 70 (extreme weather stainless in 243win and X-bolt (composite stalker) in 7mm-08.

Normally i'd have walked right on by the model 70 as they are known in Europe to have had a ropey history with varying quality control issues but recently they seem to have really up'd their game.

The browning X-Bolt is a fine rifle and will serve you well. It is every bit as accurate as the Win70 but if intending to keep over an extended period of time, getting to know the rifle and perhaps customise it to your tastes and body shape exactly then i'd opt for the Winchester. There's just so much more support, parts, triggers and stocks.

So much more variety at less cost.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:00 PM
Gold Member

I don't think you can go wrong with either rifle. I personally liked the X Bolt better which is why I bought one. The Winchester will be easier to find gunsmiths to work on if you ever decide to change anything on it. Pick up both and see which feels better in your hands and buy it.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrod View Post
Never owned or shot a Browning X-bolt but I have a longtime love affair with the M70. In fact I just snagged a M70, 7MM RM Wally-world gun, took it out yesterday and shot it a few times with factory Winchester 150 grain power points that have been in the ammo stash for at least 10 years. The first shot after wiping out the barrel and mounting a scope landed about 3/4" right of the aiming point, the next 3 went into a .3 cluster with 2 in the same hole. The is the second rifle I have come up with in the last month or so to use for a donor action for a .264WM project. I keep shooting them first and at this rate I'll never get one to tear apart.

Sorry to stray O/T, personally I would get the M70.

Bob
Thats great! How far away were you?
Old 11-27-2011, 09:21 PM
Silver Member

X-bolt.. I am short on time tonight but if you want some info on the X-bolt please PM me! Goodluck with your choice!
"...I shoot big cartridges, not because I am ego bound, not because they are needed to kill big game when well placed shots are made, but when an error is made, they will get you out of trouble more often then a lesser round."

--Kirby Allen