Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Wyatts Box

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2013, 04:06 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Wyatts Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublezranch View Post
I do shoot the 230 targets. However, If something better on the market comes along, I'd like to try them as well. What is your suggestion on making this as accurate with the 230 as possible, but still being able to use other bullets and get them close to the lans?
You really can't plan for a bullet that doesn't exist. Best thing to do is talk it over with your smith.

IMO, the best seating configuration for a bullet is for the base of the bearing surface to be aligned with the shoulder/neck junction unless the case has a really long neck which the RUM does not. Take the bearing surface lengths of the bullets you're interested in and subtract that from the neck length. Add maybe .010 for jumt tothe lands and that should be your throat length.

You might want to throat for the shorter bullet and seat the longer one deeper if that's what you end up with. When i ordered my 300 Ultra reamer, I wasn't really interested in the 230 Hybrid. I went with .200 throat which would work very well with the 215's. as a result, i am seating the 230's about .100 into the case which isn't all bad because there will room for it and it will make for a higher fill percentage.

The Hybrids have relatively short bearing surfaces, so a bullet like the 210 Berger or 208 Amax will be able to get closer to the lands of a long throat than say the 215 Hybrid. You can also seat the shorter bullets less deep in the neck but I like to get them down to the shoulder.

It comes down to prioritizing.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 08-18-2013, 06:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Here ya go... get the center feed kit.

CFE-5 Magazine Box, WYATT'S OUTDOOR, INC.

If you want to seat the 230 Berger Hybrids with base of bearing surface at the shoulder/neck junction, you'll need about a .300 throat. That said, you'll not be able to get very close to the lands with other bullets in that throat.
Correction... the CFE-5 is for the short action. The CFE - 9 is for the long action

CFE-9 Magazine Box, WYATT'S OUTDOOR, INC.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 08-18-2013, 09:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
I don't believe you'll need any more COAL than what the Wyatts will give you.

The length to shoulder/neck junction is 2.544 plus the length of the 230 bearing surface and nose is 1.400 for a total COAL of 2.944
Man... my math and attention to detail is off... that should be a COAL of 3.944

~ John Quincy Adams
Old 08-19-2013, 11:44 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Double z

My 300RUM reamer has no throat I use a throater to your specs so what ever you decide on cartridge length just send one in with your parts. I can install a Wyatts box adds about .110 in OAL if you need it for your round.

Elk Meadow Performance
www.elkmeadowperformance.com