Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

WTH

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2014, 09:22 PM
Silver Member

WTH

So I went today and shot the 280AI again. a month ago I shot it and put three bullets in the same hole at 100yds. Today I went with the same load and got 1" to 1 1/4 at best. H4831 powder and 140 grain ttsx bullets. I cant see what went wrong.

temperature was hotter today but I had my loads in a cooler with ice. I thought H4831 was temp stable?

Really frustrating.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:16 PM
Platinum Member

Re: WTH

I had this same thing happen with H1000 in several different calibers. Since removing it from my lineup, I haven't had any issues since. But I also haven't been to the range in quite a while since the temp has really warmed up, with my 7828 SSC loads. I need to go soon.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:26 PM
Gold Member

Look first to the shooter, then to the other factors like rest, wind, etc. before focusing on the load and its components. When things go wrong unexpectedly it usually isn't the load.

American rifleman's triad - God, guts and guns. It built America and it'll preserve America. Abandon one and you lose them all.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:33 AM
Platinum Member

Your powder may or may not be temp stable, but this is still relative to your system.
That is, your gun(combined components) or the load(combined components) might not be stable at all.

Why cool the ammo? Is this 'cold weather' ammo or something?
Here, you have a hot gun with cold ammo, and I can't picture matching this in the field.

If this is actually temp related, it represents what I counter with months of cold bore load development(lotta work). You may have a case, as I have in the past, where you get best accuracy or precision (not both).

Precision is pulling out a gun and putting multi-shots in a tight group -wherever they happen to fall.
Accuracy is pulling out a gun and putting 1 or more -where you need it.
I can tell you accuracy is the more challenging attribute. It is also the most important attribute for a LR hunting gun, and it's sometimes independent of precision.
If this is a hunting gun, keep your eye on it's accuracy separate of grouping, so that you don't go past an accurate load for one that groups better.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:43 AM
Silver Member

This is a hunting gun. I hunt from 60 deg to 20 deg.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:38 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Precision is pulling out a gun and putting multi-shots in a tight group -wherever they happen to fall.
Accuracy is pulling out a gun and putting 1 or more -where you need it.
I can tell you accuracy is the more challenging attribute. It is also the most important attribute for a LR hunting gun, and it's sometimes independent of precision.
If this is a hunting gun, keep your eye on it's accuracy separate of grouping, so that you don't go past an accurate load for one that groups better.
Im guilty of pursuing groups, it ends up in wasted money, time, barrel wear, and a gun that rarely puts a bullet where you want. It will also really shake your confidence.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:05 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecr View Post
Precision is ... putting multi-shots in a tight group -wherever they happen to fall.
Accuracy is ... putting 1 or more -where you need it.
... accuracy is the more challenging attribute. It is also the most important attribute for a LR hunting gun, and it's sometimes independent of precision.
That ought to be printed on every hunting license in the country.

American rifleman's triad - God, guts and guns. It built America and it'll preserve America. Abandon one and you lose them all.