Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

WSM Feeding Problems"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2009, 01:53 AM
Platinum Member

WSM Feeding Problems"

All you WSM owners. I'm doing a little survey on WSM feeding. I've read some rumors about WSM having feeding problems. I would appreciate if you check in to either confirm or deny this and with what make and model rifle.

My Finnlight cycles like butter.

Thanks for the help,

-MR
Old 06-18-2009, 07:43 AM
Platinum Member

Re: WSM Feeding Problems"

I'm sure it could be a problem for a Remington, but less with Winchester type designs.
I worked with a 300WSM from a Savage action, and they did just what was needed; Controlled round push feed, and standing blade ejection. They also used a larger diameter tennon, to get enough barrel steel around the chamber, and the rear port section was extended a bit.
I had a one-off Bat action made with these attributes for my 6.5wssm.

You need CRPF so that the rim slips up into a relieved section of boltface(from magazines). This captures an otherwise free round, and with that, controls where the round is pointing. Push feed type extractors enable single-shot action. Button ejection is deleted because that would tilt any round off center of chamber. Standing blade ejection at the back of the action tilts the case out of the port -when needed. The port needs to be back far enough so that an ejecting case does not bounce off of it, causing forward ejection, or worse an empty free case remaining in the action. This would be an immediately jamming condition.
The tennon needs to provide for magnum cartridges, or else the large diameter chamber will expand too much on firing and brass extraction becomes a problem.

Basic gun design comes into play with short magnums. You can't just throw them together like common cartridge guns, and expect the same results. Short magnum actions are different.
That said, someone is firing up to declare contradictions with their gun. It can be managed differently. But some have not addressed details needed(including manufacturers), and their results cause panic about short magnum feeding issues.

Last edited by Mikecr; 06-18-2009 at 08:03 AM.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:22 AM
Bronze Member

I have Browning X-Bolt in 7MM WSM and haven't run into any feeding problems yet. I've only been shooting the rifle about a week now.

The Browing reciever design makes single feeding tough, so I just load up the mag and cycle thru. 60 rounds thru it and no trouble so far..

It's a push feed design so you don't need to be to dainty with it when cycling.

Like most 3 lug designs it does have somewhat of a hard bolt lift.

Best,

D.

www.sevenoakshunting.net
Old 06-18-2009, 09:47 AM
Silver Member

I haven't had any problems with my 270 wsm feeding, although I had a243 wssm that didn't feed very well at all.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:34 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated. And thanks a lot for the technical insight Mikecr. I'm always learning good stuff here.

-MR
Old 06-18-2009, 10:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven Oaks View Post
I have Browning X-Bolt in 7MM WSM and haven't run into any feeding problems yet. I've only been shooting the rifle about a week now.

The Browing reciever design makes single feeding tough, so I just load up the mag and cycle thru. 60 rounds thru it and no trouble so far..

It's a push feed design so you don't need to be to dainty with it when cycling.

Like most 3 lug designs it does have somewhat of a hard bolt lift.

Best,

D.
P.M. sent.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
All you WSM owners. I'm doing a little survey on WSM feeding. I've read some rumors about WSM having feeding problems. I would appreciate if you check in to either confirm or deny this and with what make and model rifle.

My Finnlight cycles like butter.

Thanks for the help,

-MR
When the WSMs,WSSMs and SAUMs first came out they had some issues because the were
still using staggered magazines and they did not want to hold more than one round.

Some rifle makers went to center feed mags and flat flowers like the Weatherbys had been
using on there 378 style cases and the problem was solved.

If you buy an older rifle or one that uses the staggered magazine this is the easy way to make
it feed well because you can adjust the mag box instead of the rails.

In-line feeding is easy on brass and bullets and works with push feed or control feed.

On all of the short mag builds I install center feed mag boxes because they can be adjusted
well and they prevent the second round from interfearing with the first during loading.

J E CUSTOM