Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

WSM action question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2010, 08:55 PM

WSM action question

I'm starting to put together my list of needs for a custom 300 WSM build and have a possibly foolish question. Can I use any short action for my 300 WSM? Aren't the WSM case heads larger in diameter than regular short action, non-magnum rounds? What do I need to look for? Also, can I use a 270 WSM or 7mm WSM action for a 300 WSM? (Told ya the question might be foolish!)

On another note, where the heck does everyone buy their actions? Used rifles? I really want a Remington 700 action...but the pickings are slim unless I buy a 300 WSM rifle and take the parts of it.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

Happy New Year!

~Mac
"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."

- Texas State Rep. Suzanna Gratia-Hupp
Old 12-29-2010, 09:34 PM
Platinum Member

Re: WSM action question

I would not consider a WSM a short action cartridge.
You will have a difficult time hodge podging with this cartridge, and ending up with any more than a poor performing mess of a gun.

So I'll throw in a recommendation:
Buy a savage 300wsm, and do whatever you like from there.
-It has the correct boltface(and floating bolthead)
-The action is correctly setup for a larger barrel tennon(to provided sufficient barrel steel around chamber)
-It has a working magazine for this cartridge
-Look for Controlled Round Push Feed(CRPF), and standing blade ejection with this action(awesome)
-Look for accutrigger
-plenty of aftermarket, and do it yourself barrel/cartridge changing
Old 12-29-2010, 10:03 PM
Bronze Member

The only foolish question is the one you dont ask. The short mags have a magnum bolt face and the standard short action has the smaller 308 243 bolt face which is also the same as the 30 06 except its a long action. The short mags have the same bolt face as a 7mm rem mag and 300 wm. You could use a regular long action magnum action but that is sort of defeating the purpose of the short mag. Any short mag action will be the same. Super short mag is different. You could buy any old 243 and use the action. You will just have to have the bolt face opened and a saico extractor installed which is almost a must for a remington bolt anyhow.

I prefer a 700 myself. I thought about a savage for my 6mm ai build since the magazine is .150" longer but I went with a 700. The reason I would not get a savage is because you can't buy a jewel trigger for one. Once you shoot a 2 ounce jewel you will never be able to shoot anything else. I can not think of any disadvantage to a 2 ounce trigger unless you walk around with your finger on the trigger which is not safe anyhow. It will teach you not to put your finger on the trigger until you are ready to shoot which is a good practice to use anyhow.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:09 AM
Silver Member

I think you would be best off starting with a custom action like a surgeon 591 wsm, it is a short action with a longer magazine loading port or you could use a rem 700 short action and do the same thing by having it opened up,seekins make a short action wsm bottom metal which is little longer or...just use a long action and seat the bullets out as long as you like.If you don't have a donor action already do your math first because a custom long or short action will still be a better way to go,as for your question about the other wsm's, they all share the same bolt face.All the best with your build.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcountryboy View Post
Any short mag action will be the same. Super short mag is different.
So, just so I'm clear, if I buy a 7 mm WSM, or 270 WSM action, it will work for the 300 WSM without any modification? I found a used 270 WSM Rem 700 for a good deal and if I can use that action, without modification, I'll buy it now.

Thanks for all your help!

~Mac
"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."

Old 12-30-2010, 10:40 AM
Bronze Member

Yes, the 270, 7mm, and 300 wsm use all the same action. They use the exact same case, the only difference is bullet size.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcountryboy View Post
Yes, the 270, 7mm, and 300 wsm use all the same action. They use the exact same case, the only difference is bullet size.

Perfect! Thank You!