Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

wrong decision.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-14-2009, 09:45 PM
Silver Member
Re: wrong decision.....

Haynie85. I hate to rain on your parade; however, no matter what brand of rifle you buy or even if you go totally custom you may not come up with a rifle that is a consistant .5moa shooter. The most expensive rifle I own was a piece of junk when I recieved it. I nearly wore the barrel out on it trying to find a load it would shoot. I also switched different combinations of scopes and rings until there were no other options left. Finally I gave up and had it rebuilt with another barrel. What came back was the most consistantly accurate rifle I had ever shot at that point. I loved this rifle and shot it a bunch until it started opening up at about 1100rds. I sent it off and had it built again. Yep, it was a POS again. It is currently at the smithy waiting for another barrel. Currently the most accurate and consistant rifle I have is a DPMS 308 gas gun. This thing is amazing and has left more than a few folks shaking their head walking away talking to themselves. I have another DPMS 308 that shoots nice for a few rds then goes berzerk. I still havent figured it out. Anyway you are getting into a game with no absolutes and sought after perfection is not easily obtained. You are going to need a pretty good income or a wife that has a rich Daddy. Also your wife and kids will need to be very open-minded and understanding when all you do on your day off is to run in the reloading room then make a mad dash down in the pasture. They hear a few shots and see you coming back. One trip you play and wrestle with the dog as you enter the yard and the next time you kick him in the ribs. Anyway welcome to the world of precision (sometimes not so precise) longrange shooting. Also be advised there are far more sub .5 moa rifles on the internet than there are on the range!!!!!!!

Unread 01-15-2009, 11:25 AM
Bronze Member

Originally Posted by haynie85 View Post
GRIT: boy, its so good to talk (or type) to people again, god california is horrible!!!

I came from a 104acre farm in tenn, 2 ranches in texas and a small ranch/farm in flagstaff az to this god forsaken land.... Im not talking just about the lack of hunting/shooting here, but just polite people which none live in cali, and no one believes in america... its sad ....this place stinks of something im not familiar with. (maybe communism)

thanks guys for the responses and the pictures (magnumpeanut), i can sleep again haha

cant wait to shoot a prairie dog 15 feet in the air again
NP haynie...Just get out and shoot your rifle. Its a fast twist so light bullets like 40g bergers or Noslers will fly out FAST. Even if it doesn't look so great on paper the cinamatics those gophers will be doing will be worth it.

Its only going to be as accurate as the bullets you put through it so take your time, try out some different loads and find what it likes.
Unread 01-15-2009, 07:34 PM
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=Augustus Also be advised there are far more sub .5 moa rifles on the internet than there are on the range!!!!!!!

A-men brother!
Unread 01-16-2009, 06:05 PM
Gold Member

If your re-barreling square is square regarless of brand.
Unread 01-16-2009, 06:35 PM
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=davewilson;254519][QUOTE=Augustus Also be advised there are far more sub .5 moa rifles on the internet than there are on the range!!!!!!!

A-men brother![/QUOTE]

That's too funny!! good one.
I used to re-load but now I "hand-load".
-- Well, at least I try --
Unread 01-16-2009, 11:37 PM

HAHA more .5 guns on the net vs the range, aint that the truth eh?
it reminds me of the bass pro shop out here, at the entrnce theres a big sign that says: "Fishermen, hunters and other liars welcome."
Unread 01-17-2009, 09:29 AM

Remember, a rifle and it's barrel are like a piano..... It has to be PROPERLY tuned to make sweet music and all the parts have to work in concert with each other.

Specifically, the load has to be tuned to the barrel harmonics of the gun. If you do this (even with factory ammo and factory guns) you can shoot groups that will make you proud as well as a long range threat in the outdoors.

On factory guns, I personally would not get one unless it had an aluminum bedding block or was so cheap that installing an aluminum bedding block would not raise the cost of the project above one with an aluminum bedding block. That is unless it was a Ruger #1.