Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

wrong decision.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2009, 10:45 PM

wrong decision.....

I think i should have gotten a savage over the remington.....

I got the sps varmint in 22-250, immediately im installing a B&C stock.... a friend of mine bought the same gun and we got his trigger down to at MOST a 2lb pull we were both shocked.... hopefully i can achieve this as well, as they both have the same trigger. Im worried about the action, as far as truing it, i guess it'll have to do, tho it is a concern. (although i wouldnt have to worry about this if i bought a savage!!!).... I eliminated the stock issues, the trigger issue will hopefully npt be an issue.... My two ajor concerns are the action trueing, and the peice of crap lack of crowning remington has done.... no recessed crown no 11 degree target crown nada!

Issues wth remington:
1: bolt machining, as far as the line up
2: the crown
3. the stock barrel.... again my only concern is the crown, everything else should be fine with it... right?

I'll be able to work up a good load for it, hopefully the changes in stock, the trigger adjustments, and load work, i can achieve .5 or better moa.

If i had bought the savage, i couldve been at .5moa out of box.

my plan is after montana and another hunt i got planned, i'll burn that stock barrel out, after that im gonna have it trued and install a better barrel.

im just wondering BEFORE trueing and rebarrelled..... am i gonna have a shooter.... or is the lack of truing gonna screw me....

Im freakin out just because its my first long range gun, and im coming to 2 big hunts and ive got nothing else to fall back on. Plus im reading on other guy's guns that are trued, expensve stocks, nicer versions of the remington action etc. im wondering if the sps action is inferior to more expensive remington actions besides "smoothness" and apperance. are all remington actions the same as far as quality in the milling? or do they just slap a sps together and throw it out the door.

I plan on using either a elite 4200 series or leupold var3 scope.... rings would be leupold and bases of either burris or leupold. not sure on the scope yet the baush and lomb/bushnell 4200 seems to be very competitive. although i hate the word bushnelll, to me its spelt cheap in my mind...... although this is a completely different line off of therye cheap crap.

I think out of the box the savage is better, but i think after i slap a new stock and trigger work, i'll be as good as the savage maybe even better before trueing and rebarreling, any input to ease my mind with the truth as you know it would be great.... god i hate california's 10 day waiting period it really screws with your mind. Its like they set it up just so you can think on it and ask yourself "was it really worth mind screwing yourself this much over a gun, did you really have to buy a gun again?" hahaha, god i hate it here outside america.

One of these days im gonna buy a savage model 12 varmint in 243 just so i have both.... until then i need peice of mind. any help is appreciated.

PS am i the only one who does this? Or are we all crazy like this? hahaha

Last edited by haynie85; 01-13-2009 at 11:12 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:51 AM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: wrong decision.....

I know very well that the quality issues remington has are many. However I continue to buy them because every one I own or have owned have been real sweet shooters. Whatever they are doing in the accuracy department is right regardless of their lack of workmanship. I hate it too but they still work. I have owned other brands of rifles that were real works of art and flawless that I couldnt get to shoot worth a crap after several months of development. I sold them, and each time I sold one, I bought a remington and in a day flat I had sub .5 to .5 MOA loads cooked up. Less desirable to look at, awesome groups at 600-800 yards though. I prefer better concistency over flawless appearances. That is however, just me.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:27 AM
Platinum Member

Relax! For equal dollars spent you will get very similar quality from the two brands. Regardless of all the hype from iether side.

Get the hell out of California and kill some critters. You'll feal better.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:01 AM
Bronze Member

I like my Remmy SPS V. Its in 204 and shoots like a dream outof the box. The trigger is a bit tough and messy, but if I don't let it mess me up it shoots well otherwise.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:20 AM
Silver Member

My SPS-V prints targets equal to Magumpeanuts and with factory Hornady Amax or HP, Black Hills, whatever, it likes it all. (It did so before I added the HS stock). Lightened the trigger a bit and am very satisfied with this setup.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:50 AM
Platinum Member

Don't worry, savage isn't the "cure all" in long range shooting. Not everyone with savage is happy (I'm a case in point lol). I'm pretty sure that savage actions also can be "trued" as well, but they do have an edge with their floating bolt head design. I have many problems with my model 12 22-250. very often the cartidge will slip out of the bolts grip and not eject properly causing a jam. YES A JAM ON A BOLT ACTION! rediculous. However after several hundred rounds and dosens of loads I found one that seems to shoot acceptably for a varmint rifle.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:37 PM

GRIT: boy, its so good to talk (or type) to people again, god california is horrible!!!

I came from a 104acre farm in tenn, 2 ranches in texas and a small ranch/farm in flagstaff az to this god forsaken land.... Im not talking just about the lack of hunting/shooting here, but just polite people which none live in cali, and no one believes in america... its sad ....this place stinks of something im not familiar with. (maybe communism)

thanks guys for the responses and the pictures (magnumpeanut), i can sleep again haha

cant wait to shoot a prairie dog 15 feet in the air again