Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Would there be an advantage?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2011, 07:22 PM
Gold Member

Would there be an advantage?

Just toying with the idea of trying out the Bergers in my 7RM. I am hesitant to change anything because I am quite pleased with how my gun shoots the 168g SMKs. I have used it for targets thus far, but I do plan on hunting whitetail and possibly black bear if the shot presents itself this fall. When I ran the 168 and 180s in both SMKs and Bergers on JBM there was a noticeable difference as far as ballistics are concerned. Are the Bergers worth the extra coin? Or should I just stick with the winning horse?
Old 06-08-2011, 09:51 PM
Gold Member

Re: Would there be an advantage?

If what you are using is working and will do what you need it to I wouldn't start over. Spend the time and components on practice not doing load development.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRNA View Post
Just toying with the idea of trying out the Bergers in my 7RM. I am hesitant to change anything because I am quite pleased with how my gun shoots the 168g SMKs. I have used it for targets thus far, but I do plan on hunting whitetail and possibly black bear if the shot presents itself this fall. When I ran the 168 and 180s in both SMKs and Bergers on JBM there was a noticeable difference as far as ballistics are concerned. Are the Bergers worth the extra coin? Or should I just stick with the winning horse?
It never hurts to try a different bullet because different barrels like different bullets. But I wouldn't
spend a lot of time on then if you already have a good load unless they shoot as good as your
favorite load right out of the gate.

Don't be surprised if a "Better" bullet does not shot as well in your rifle. It just means that the barrel
doesn't like them.

J E CUSTOM
Old 06-08-2011, 10:16 PM
Platinum Member

A little extra mass and slightly better BC can't hurt. But, what you have is pretty potent. So, I wouldn't invest too much in the 180s.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:09 AM
Gold Member

Well you guys have confirmed what I have been thinking. I have always been one to try to improve on everything n some way and sometimes it can be an aggravating trait. Just curious since I seem to have found the magic combination mighty quickly, which does NOT typically happen very often for me.