Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

worth it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2013, 01:25 PM

worth it?

savage 111 in 7 mag for $359 with Chinese crap scope. it has no accutrigger and a basic stock. they also have one in 300 wsm for $389...
Old 06-13-2013, 09:10 PM
Silver Member

Re: worth it?

That's about average pawn shop pricing. Personally I have seen newer accu trigger models for $300 in the last month but that shop does not run a super high profit margin. If it has the adjustable three screw trigger I would take it over an accu trigger.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timnterra View Post
That's about average pawn shop pricing. Personally I have seen newer accu trigger models for $300 in the last month but that shop does not run a super high profit margin. If it has the adjustable three screw trigger I would take it over an accu trigger.
+1 on the trigger

Personally if you where to do that the first thing I would do is to throw the stock away and get a boyd's thumbhole, pillar bedded at the very least. Makes a whole different rifle out of it.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 06-14-2013, 10:39 AM
Silver Member

Yah I had a synthetic stock 110 e in 30-06 it had poor accuracy because the fore end of the stock would flex and contact the barrel when I used a bipod. A better stock would help a lot! And McGowan outlet has prefit hand lapped barrels you can get without any wait all you need is a barrel vice a barrel nut wrench and a go gauge and you'll have a custom tack driver for less than $1000. I just built one on an accu trigger model with a Shelin barrel and HS stock and it shoot 5 rounds in .5" at 100 during the break-in. I can't wait to work up accurate load and see what she will really do!
Old 06-15-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe King View Post
+1 on the trigger

Personally if you where to do that the first thing I would do is to throw the stock away and get a boyd's thumbhole, pillar bedded at the very least. Makes a whole different rifle out of it.
that's pretty much my thoughts.if it doesn't have the adjustable trigger I'll just get an aftermarket if I don't like the factory one.