Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

WOOD or PLASTIC?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2013, 07:43 PM
Bronze Member

WOOD or PLASTIC?

Alright, although the title is misleading, the question is which do most of yall prefer? Wood stocks or synthetic? I have always hunted with a wood stock Browning a-bolt or a wood stock Rem 788 so I am just wondering if I am missing out. Ive shot several synthetic stock rifles, but other than the reduction in weight and the obvious "tacti-cool" of some of them, is there a true benefit? Weight really isn't an issue because I don't have a heavy barrel counterpart that I have to balance out. Just wantin to see what most of yall think.

Happy shootin,

BTB
Old 08-25-2013, 08:07 PM
Platinum Member

Re: WOOD or PLASTIC?

The main benefits of synthetic is that most have a full aluminum bed block which improves accuracy and regidity. Also, the synthetic fibers won't expand & contract with temperature swings like a wooden stock will, causing accuracy swings.

I am synthetic fan, but my .280 AI / .25-06 AI will be on a vintage BDL wood stock because I got it for a really good price, and my rifle is a budget build. I will eventually swap it over to an original Sendero SF stock (no palm swell), if I can find one for a reasonable price.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:37 PM
Bronze Member

All of the above, and moisture resistance.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:39 PM
Platinum Member

Good catch! I forgot to add that in there. It was in my head, but never made it to my hands. LOL

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:49 PM
Platinum Member

The high-end synthetics are very nice for the reasons you mention. The lower cost true plastic stocks can be very questionable. I am in the plastics biz - believe me when I say that some of these stocks move around in temperature a LOT more than you think, and can deform due to molded-in stresses when exposed to moderate (left in your car in the sun) heat.

Just like budget wood stocks, you generally get what you pay for...
Old 08-25-2013, 08:51 PM
Platinum Member

All the above plus one other attribute...

You can beat the snot out of a snot stock, take a damp rag and wipe it off and be good as new. Can't do that with wood furniture.

I like the look of wood but it's not practical for a 'go to' rifle. One time using a wood stocked rifle as a downhill brake and you'll understand what I mean or, if you are on horseback and your mount decides to brush a rock...you get the idea.

I tend to take the nice wood stock off and put it away for later....

Personally, I like the looks of wood better but it's not as practical and candidly, I don't look at a snot stock as 'tacticool', just practical.

You can pillar bed or bar bed either wood or plastic. Makes no difference.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:09 PM
Silver Member

If your talking McMillan or Manner stocks they would be my choice over wood.