Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics


Reply

Wood Laminate????

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-26-2013, 02:01 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 241
Wood Laminate????

I would like to know everyoones Opinions of laminated Wood Stocks?

Which brand?

Better than wood? good as McMillin or Manners?

I found a New Boyds at a gun show yesterdaay in a 700 SA blind it has plllars and it had been glassed looks to be inlet for a bout about a # 5 or 6. Im wanting for a 260 build.

I had one smith say all laminates were trash because the resins were worse than natural wood for hot and cold movment.

Others have told me thay are every bit as good as a McMillin or Manners.

Let mk know what you think

Thanks DL
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-26-2013, 10:04 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 100
Re: Wood Laminate????

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLFant View Post

I had one smith say all laminates were trash because the resins were worse than natural wood for hot and cold movment.
Ignore that advice. Find a different smith.

There is really only one major downside to a good laminate, as far as I know and have read about:

They are heavy.

They are heavier than most all other stocks. The wood is compressed and the resin weights a ton.


To me, they are a quick way to make a good looking heavy gun, that shoots well, at a decent price. But I like wood, even if its been basterdized....
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-26-2013, 10:10 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 1,913
Re: Wood Laminate????

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdherman View Post
Ignore that advice. Find a different smith.

There is really only one major downside to a good laminate, as far as I know and have read about:

They are heavy.

They are heavier than most all other stocks. The wood is compressed and the resin weights a ton.


To me, they are a quick way to make a good looking heavy gun, that shoots well, at a decent price. But I like wood, even if its been basterdized....
I concur 10000% with everything CD had to say about them. Personally I like them
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-27-2013, 12:09 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 241
Re: Wood Laminate????

I am a wood man also I have been in the wood working buisness for 29 years. Its just that so many say you got get you one of them good 500 dollar plastic stocks to be with it. I somtimes think were being duped.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-27-2013, 09:13 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 953
Re: Wood Laminate????

ACCURATE INNOVATIONS makes one of the better lam. stocks. I like/use them, very stable , from Alaska wet to desert hot/dry. And they look great. First stock of ANY kind that was 100% drop in, on the few that I have.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-27-2013, 02:58 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 1,913
Re: Wood Laminate????

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLFant View Post
I am a wood man also I have been in the wood working buisness for 29 years. Its just that so many say you got get you one of them good 500 dollar plastic stocks to be with it. I somtimes think were being duped.
Try 500-1000!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-27-2013, 02:59 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 1,913
Re: Wood Laminate????

I like the selection and the fit of stocks from Stocky's
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC