Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Wont chamber fire formed brass?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2002, 11:09 PM
Silver Member

Wont chamber fire formed brass?

I loaded up some rounds for my 300 win mag match stainless barrel last night. The brass is Winchester, once reloaded and fired in this rifle. I neck sized, trimmed and neck turned then loaded 240 MK's. They stick in the chamber to the point of having to bugger one up by pounding it out with a hammer. This has not happened before, why now?
Old 08-13-2002, 11:40 PM

Re: Wont chamber fire formed brass?

Hi Moosehunter,
I had this happen once before also, you can change the case demenisions by just neck sizing.
On my 22-250 when I just necked sized some casing they would not go back into the chamber, I was using a FL die to just resize the neck. No good doing that way.
You will need to FL size to make sure that the case is to proper size at the "web" area, that mybe where they are sticking. Also check "headspace".
Hope this helps.

Got to thinking also that being you are using a 300 Mag your problem is probably going to be the area just above the "belt" on case. Most dies won't size this area. There is a gentlemen out here that make a special die for sizing thes type cases and it works very good.
Never have any more problems after using this die. http://larrywillis.com/

[ 08-13-2002: Message edited by: Coyote Hunter ]

[ 08-13-2002: Message edited by: Coyote Hunter ]
Old 08-14-2002, 10:10 AM
Writers Guild

Re: Wont chamber fire formed brass?

I don't think the barrel heat is an issue. I just go my automatic weapons that get really hot and they have no problems with functioning. Sure they have fairly generous chambers but I don't think metal moves that much.

I guess you have a real life example of when you change a component, any component, you need to start loads over again.

I found the same thing in several of my rifles. Some brass just doesn't tolerate the same loads. Doesn't mean the brass is bad, just not the same.

A nice tight chamber helps with case life and accuracy, so I would be willing to adjust my loads accordingly.

Good luck...

Jerry