Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Wnchester 70 vs Remington 700 XCR tactical long range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2013, 12:11 PM
Silver Member

Wnchester 70 vs Remington 700 XCR tactical long range

I am looking for a 300 win mag to shoot an elk at 400 yards. I've tried a Winchester 70 extreme weather. It shoots 2 1/2 to 4 inch groups at 100 yards. Remington claims that their XCR tactical long range will shoot 1 inch groups at 100 yards and 4 inch groups at 400 yards. I'm not satisfied with the Winchester's accuracy. Should I get the Remington???
Old 05-15-2013, 12:41 PM
Silver Member

Re: Wnchester 70 vs Remington 700 XCR tactical long range

I have an xcr long range tac in 308. It shoots 1/3 minute groups I love it.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:49 PM
Silver Member

Since you included all the pertinent load , conditions , scope , mount , work done , and your shooting experience I would highly recommend you try the Remlin. Btw , are you interested in selling tha pos Winchester extreme weather ?
Old 05-15-2013, 12:49 PM
Gold Member

When was the Winchester Model 70 you tested made? What ammo did you try when you tested it?

My first centerfire rifles were Remingtons. They were both made in the 90's and were decent rifles. I have heard a lot about how Remington quality control has gone downhill over the last few years.

In contrast, I own a recent production Winchester Model 70 that is superbly made in every respect. It has never seen a factory round down its barrel, but my handloads are shooting under 1/2" @ 100 yards.

I still have one of my Remingtons. It is a 700VS in .308 that, to this day, is the most accurate rifle I own.

However, in terms of CURRENT production quality, I would take a Winchester Model 70 over a Remington any day. There just is no contest in terms of build quality.

You might get lucky and get a Remington that shoots well right out of the box. Or, you might get one of the lemons that Remington seems to have a reputation for producing these days.

IMO, your odds of getting an accurate rifle out of the box are better with a Winchester at this time. Second on my list would be a CZ or Savage.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:56 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinjax View Post
Since you included all the pertinent load , conditions , scope , mount , work done , and your shooting experience I would highly recommend you try the Remlin. Btw , are you interested in selling tha pos Winchester extreme weather ?
I tried Winchester, Remington Premier, Barnes Vor-Tx, Federal Premium, Federal Fusion, and Hornady ammo. I also tried handloads with Barnes, Nosler partition, Nosler accubond and Berger bullets. I tried a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14.50 and a Nikon 4.5-14x40 buckmaster. I've got Weaver bases and Warne rings. I'm shooting off of sand bags. Wind has either been calm or slight (about 5 mph).
Old 05-15-2013, 01:02 PM
Silver Member

I will give one piece of advice . If you are looking to knock over elk way out there at 400 yards you certainly don't need a cannon like the 300 win mag. 7-08 , 308 , 280 , 30-06 would get the job done. The are also much easier to shoot in a light rifle. Being able to shoot accurately is much more important than power.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:12 PM
Platinum Member

I love my Remmy 700's. Best shooting factory guns I've ever owned.

Some folks have had bad experiences, but all mine have been serious shooters. Guess I got lucky.

So, I would have to say, give a higher-end Remington a shot. Remington makes the 700 5R in a .300 WM, and those 5R's are tack-drivers right out of the box. I have a 700 5R .308 Win, and it's shooting 1.286" 24-shot groups @ 100 yards.

The measurement it shows is 1.594", but you have to subract the bullet diameter to get a true measurement, which comes out to 1.286".

And I can prove it! I had witnesses, too.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.