Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Is Wipe Out ok for custom barrels?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2011, 06:19 AM
Platinum Member

Is Wipe Out ok for custom barrels?

I have used cleaning solvents that are frequently mentioned on the site with good results. I recently was working on an old A3Springfield that had years of crud in the barrel and proved to be stubborn. A friend of mine said to try the foam cleaner "Wipe Out". I did, and within a brief period the barrel was literally spotless. Carbon and copper were completely gone in a matter of minutes! Somewhat messy, and sticky feeling, it worked better that anything I have ever used. Any experiences with this product, especially using it with high grade barrels. This stuff seems too good to be true.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 10-09-2011, 07:21 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Is Wipe Out ok for custom barrels?

Steel is steel. A barrel has no idea that it is custom or not.

I use Wipe Out consistently on every thing I own.

Other cleaners are used when time is an issue.

The sticky feeling takes getting used to but is cleaned up with dry patches and an 'oil' patch for storage.

A patch in the chamber keeps the blue stuff out of the action.

In the custom barrel, the overnight soak, a couple of patches followed by a Warthog patch to verify copper is gone. A dry patch followed by a lube patch if storage will be lengthy and ur done.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:10 AM
Platinum Member

Greyfox, did you look at it with a borescope?
You know what it usually means when something seems to good to be true..
Old 10-09-2011, 09:20 AM

My rifle builder and his dad swear by the stuff. I have not heard of any issues in using it. He has a bore scope, but I didn't ask if had noticed any problems. The theory is there, good cleaning with less rod strokes. Wipe out is the cleaner he recommended for the Kreiger barrel he installed on my action.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:43 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecr View Post
Greyfox, did you look at it with a borescope?
You know what it usually means when something seems to good to be true..
No I didn't but used my Boretech cleaner afterward and had no discoloration which shows up with any copper at all.....usually.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 10-09-2011, 05:22 PM
Platinum Member

Use the stuff in all my rifles, from $100 .22lr to my custom barrel .338 to my issued weapons.

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:17 PM
Gold Member

Been using it for about 5 years now - previously if someone came out with a new mouse trap cleaner I tried it. Haven't found any need to try anything different up till now after trying wipeout.

Even on prairie dog towns where we have 2-4 rifles going apiece I use the wipeout when I get back to the truck - but then I use their accelerator product along with the wipeout foam.

I have a custom rifle that has about 700 rounds down the tube and it has never seen a brush.

And - yes - I have used a bore scope after using the wipeout more than once.