Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Wind Direction changes our Vertical Impact......Fact or Myth?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2011, 10:36 PM
Silver Member

Re: Wind Direction changes our Vertical Impact......Fact or Myth?

Talk to some helicopter door gunners and they will tell you left side of the aircraft aim low, right side aim high.......
Old 02-02-2011, 01:03 AM
Platinum Member

Helidriver,

That would certainly confirm the theory. Thanks
Old 02-02-2011, 01:19 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by helidriver72 View Post
Talk to some helicopter door gunners and they will tell you left side of the aircraft aim low, right side aim high.......
Just assuming here, but maybe you know....

I would think that the rotor downwash would cause them to always aim high by a certain amount, but on the other hand; shooting down at an angle toward something on the ground would cause the bullets to hit high if aiming right on.

Do these two effects (downwash and angle) combine and kinda cancel each other out?
Old 02-02-2011, 07:24 AM
Platinum Member

I have been doing some testing over the last few weeks at 820 to 850 yards at a location where I validate my rifles.

Now when I do my validations I do it when there is no wind. One this occasion however I had a wind of about 10mph coming in over the trees at 2 O'clock.
I found that the bullets were hiting about 8" lower on the target than they should have.
The next day with similar conditions I repeated the exercise with similar results.
On the third day however the wind was still and when I repeated the test my bullet impact was back on target as per my validation chart.

So my piont is...........Beware of shooting down wind of a long stand of trees. They create a down draft on the leeward side. And possibly an updraft on the windward side.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:13 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBruce View Post
Just assuming here, but maybe you know....

I would think that the rotor downwash would cause them to always aim high by a certain amount, but on the other hand; shooting down at an angle toward something on the ground would cause the bullets to hit high if aiming right on.

Do these two effects (downwash and angle) combine and kinda cancel each other out?
The conditions I was referring to where when in forward flight, rotor downwash isn't really noticeable with more than 15 knots forward airspeed. Imagine shooting in a 80-100 knot crosswind?