Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Winchester model 70 Extreme Weather

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 08:54 PM
Silver Member

Re: Winchester model 70 Extreme Weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn300 View Post
I have the model 70 ew in 7mm and it is a shooter. The best group I shot was with rl 22 I believe shooting 168 grains berger vld hunting bullets it was .655 group. I am still in the testing mode with 160 accubonds and some other berger loads. I am wanting to use hodgdon extreme powder so have some H1000 and h4350 loads to test with the bergers and accubonds. I think it is safe to say that it likes bergers. Almost shot 2 shots one hole with bergers. I was 100 thousands off the the lands. My new loads are 45 thousands off the lands. Hopefully the group will tighten up more. Not bad for an 8lb 2 oz rifle from the factory.
That's good info and very encouraging! Is that straight 7mm or Rem Mag you have?

Funny, I was just looking at Berger bullets online today and also read an article here on LRH from a gent who works for Berger. Excellent info, if you haven't read it already. I plan to get his book.

Hmm, it seems I'm getting closer yet to that Model 70 EW purchase the more I read and hear about it.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:08 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewolf393 View Post
That's good info and very encouraging! Is that straight 7mm or Rem Mag you have?

Funny, I was just looking at Berger bullets online today and also read an article here on LRH from a gent who works for Berger. Excellent info, if you haven't read it already. I plan to get his book.

Hmm, it seems I'm getting closer yet to that Model 70 EW purchase the more I read and hear about it.
I have one in 300 WSM. I use it as my pack rifle. It is a consistent 1/2 MOA gun with Bergers. I can't say that I've had any issues with the thin barrel. A few weeks ago I fired 4 consecutive shots with 210 Bergers at 300 yards. The rifle printed a 1.25" group with those 4 shots.

The beauty with the win 70 action is that you can feed and function a WSM round of up around 3.015". This makes it easy to load to the lands, and it frees up case capacity to burn the slower powders with the long bullets.

My only complaint is with the new trigger. It's plenty crisp, and although it's easily adjustable, I would like it lighter. I installed lighter spring to bring it down a bit more and it's good enough, but I would like to briing it down another 8-10 oz. Timney has stated they will have a replacement unit available soon.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:37 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentc View Post
I have one in 300 WSM. I use it as my pack rifle. It is a consistent 1/2 MOA gun with Bergers. I can't say that I've had any issues with the thin barrel. A few weeks ago I fired 4 consecutive shots with 210 Bergers at 300 yards. The rifle printed a 1.25" group with those 4 shots.

The beauty with the win 70 action is that you can feed and function a WSM round of up around 3.015". This makes it easy to load to the lands, and it frees up case capacity to burn the slower powders with the long bullets.

My only complaint is with the new trigger. It's plenty crisp, and although it's easily adjustable, I would like it lighter. I installed lighter spring to bring it down a bit more and it's good enough, but I would like to briing it down another 8-10 oz. Timney has stated they will have a replacement unit available soon.

Very nice rifle and accuracy report on that. Since I don't handload yet (live in an apartment and can't store powder), I would get as close as I can get with factory ammo until I start. If Timney is making a better trigger, that's good too, although 3lbs would likely be good enough for me. I like the Model 70 Mauser claw action over the Remington and Browning.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:34 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewolf393 View Post

Best group of my berger bullet test was pretty close to half moa with 57 grains h4350 didn't chrono the loads. The other powder i used was H1000 the best was 67 grains which two bullets touched and had one off by and inch a half which was probably my fault. I have yet to try the accubonds just need more time. No pressure signs. 68 grains h1000 the group opened significantly same with the H4350 at 58 grains. The rifle dang sure bites a bit.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:10 PM
Silver Member

I have 2 model 70s one a 300 H & H made in 1939 with 180ge Nosler Partions it's around 1 MOA my other is a Model 70 XTR made in the early 1980s of the 2, I like the XTR in . 264 Win Mag less recoil & I have Remingtons & they are accurate but I like the Safety on Model 70s & the Trigger is the best. Some like Blondes & some Brunettes. I always say buy what you like you have to live with it.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:05 PM
Platinum Member

There are some super shadows on gunbroker to be had for about 500, put it in the stock you like and if the barrel doesn't shoot, just trash it and re-barrel. I just got one in 7wsm and it actually shoots well. Even though it's a spaghetti barrel I like the weight and re stocking it won't add that much more weight.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:06 PM
Platinum Member

Jewel is making Winchester triggers now I heard.