Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Win Model 70 or Browning A Bolt in 300wm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 01:30 PM

Win Model 70 or Browning A Bolt in 300wm

Hi everyone,
I'm gonna buy a winchester model 70 ultimate shadow or a Browning A bolt II in 300WM, but havent decided yet.
I'm not into hunting, will try to do some long range shooting over 600yrds (up to 1000yrd) 99% of the time. That said, I am not interested in easy-bolt cycling or build-quality.
Talking totally accuracy-wise, which one would you recommend if you are not able to heavily modify either one, or could not afford a heavy barrel version?
Are new FN winchester 70s really 1MOA out of the box?
I've read many people occasionally talk about "skinny" barrels on model 70 magnums and submoa accuracy in browning a and x bolts. I got really confused.

Thanks for any help...
Old 03-03-2013, 02:25 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Win Model 70 or Browning A Bolt in 300wm

Of the 2, my opinion is to go with the A-Bolt II. Never been a Winchester fan, except for antique Win lever guns.

My first choice is always a Remington 700, but 2nd choice is a tie between Weatherby Mark-V & A-Bolt II.

I have atleast 1 of all 3, and you just can't go wrong with any of them.

For just simply shooting paper and gongs at lomg range, go Remington 700....Any and every gunsmith has parts and tools readily available for 700's at the drop of a hat.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardenne View Post
Hi everyone,
I'm gonna buy a winchester model 70 ultimate shadow or a Browning A bolt II in 300WM, but havent decided yet.
I'm not into hunting, will try to do some long range shooting over 600yrds (up to 1000yrd) 99% of the time. That said, I am not interested in easy-bolt cycling or build-quality.
Talking totally accuracy-wise, which one would you recommend if you are not able to heavily modify either one, or could not afford a heavy barrel version?
Are new FN winchester 70s really 1MOA out of the box?
I've read many people occasionally talk about "skinny" barrels on model 70 magnums and submoa accuracy in browning a and x bolts. I got really confused.

Thanks for any help...
The three I have total confidence in accuracy wise are Tikka, Browning, and Savage.
I have more rems than any other make and they shoot well, but rem is more likely to put out a turd you either have to make shoot or take back than the others. Win is a hunting gun and will produce moa accuracy pretty well, put pony up $ to a 'smith if you want a lot better. I don't have enough experience with weatherby to see them as good or bad, but the ones I've fired are around win quality; hunting guns, no more.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:18 PM
Platinum Member

You're missing out.....Weatherby Mark V's shoot alot better than MOA from my personal experience. And all my current remingtons are factory guns that all shoot sub-MOA. My A-Bolt II also shoots sub-MOA, as well.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:27 PM
Platinum Member

I'd buy the Browning Eclipse, heavy barrel with Boss system. Can't do any better than that unless you have a custom done. Should shoot easily around 1/2" with a little handloading and the Boss to tune it. Savage are the most accurate if you want to go cheap. The Browning will hold it's value and last forever. It gets more respect in the aftermarket.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:08 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etisll40 View Post
I'd buy the Browning Eclipse, heavy barrel with Boss system. Can't do any better than that unless you have a custom done. Should shoot easily around 1/2" with a little handloading and the Boss to tune it. Savage are the most accurate if you want to go cheap. The Browning will hold it's value and last forever. It gets more respect in the aftermarket.
+1 on all that.

Try it yourself. Just go to Gunbroker, search for bolt rifles, 300 mag.
Sort by price.

You'll find pages of guns. Some cheap some not-so-cheap.
But you'll see what they resell for.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:20 PM

I own 2 Brownings. The 7mm mag is a great shooter!! I have owned 3 Brownings is a 300 Win. Mag. With all of them the magazine was too short to hold the rounds if I had to be even as close as 50 thousands to them. Thats the only draw back. I even called Browning and They said they didnt make magazines any larger. The Browning 300 win. mag I have now will shoot moa but to me thats not very good. I also have seen winchesters have the same problem. My dad has a Winchester 22-250 and the magazine is too short in it also. Now days Savage is as good as any of them but never overlook a Remington!!! they most always shoot great!