Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Will 2 rifles that are almost clones shoot the same ammo with equal accuracy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2012, 03:57 PM
Silver Member

Re: Will 2 rifles that are almost clones shoot the same ammo with equal accuracy?

Yep, that's nice but it don't always work that way. There is alot of unseen differences in barrels even though they are from the same manufacturer and the same contour.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:56 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Will 2 rifles that are almost clones shoot the same ammo with equal accuracy?

Len, I just did the same thing, Last years f-class rifle in 284 was on a 6 groove benchmark, savage Target action.

This years is a Borden BRM action with a Krieger Criterion button rifled barrel.

Shot my 180 Berger Hybred load yesterday, left over from last year, the 4th -9th bullet out of Criterion went into one very small ragged hole, .122"

From what many of us have learned in competition shooting, of many disiplines, is that some loads do very well in many rifles.

Aaron would expound with similar information from his products.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:40 AM
PUBLISHER

And yesterday --- the ultimate test of the "almost clone" rifle.

I went out to my friend's farm to shoot at 900 yards. Using the Gunwerks G7 BR2 rangefinder I ranged my target and the unit told me 900 yards and 21.1 MOA. This unit samples air density and gives you a corrected range based on current conditions and on the ballistic profile you first enter into it. I still had the profile in there from last fall with my earlier rifle.

I shot 3 rounds and went down to see the results.

Group size was 2.25 inches and more importantly, the group centered its vertical position dead center on the bull and a little to the right.

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 04-29-2012, 09:33 AM
Platinum Member

Great shooting Len and a good looking piece as well! I missed what cartridge this was? I've found that there are loads that will shoot well but generally even the closest of clones require some minor tweaking; probably just because they really aren't clones but rather an "attempt" at cloning. I'm also chambering a 5r Bartlein with my 30/375 S.I. and am anxious to see how it compares to my 4 groove Krieger. Both have 28" barrels. Keep the posts coming.......Rich
Old 04-29-2012, 09:42 AM
Platinum Member

I have sporters built out of the same chamberings as competition rifles. Most will use the same amunition and if they do not it is only a minor tweek in powder charge. Everything else is the same with the load. Makes it easy because I don't adjust the dies on my competition rifles after they are set. My dies are all made when the first of a chambering is built-----what you have found Len is common of rifles built by people that know what they are doing...