Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Will 2 rifles that are almost clones shoot the same ammo with equal accuracy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2012, 02:45 PM
PUBLISHER

Will 2 rifles that are almost clones shoot the same ammo with equal accuracy?

Not quite clones of each other but here's my story --

I just came back from my first range outing with my new rifle. I wanted a new one because the components I use in building my Long Range Rifles, LLC guns has evolved a little bit. I think the one I use personally should use exactly the same components I am building my customer rifles with. So this one has the LRR action made for me by Stiller with my own LRR logo on it.

I wondered if I'd have to do any load development with this one since it was built with the same reamer and same barrel profile, twist, etc. I have about a hundred rounds left from my previous rifle. That rifle is a real shooter and is for sale by the way.

After sighting in my scope I fired group #1 into 1/2 inches. My 2nd group was just over an inch and I thought what the heck? Noticed a loosely attached bipod and remembered that I hadn't totally tightened in on. It was slightly loose in my hand, explaining the horizontal dispersion.

Anyway, I tightened it and here's a picture of the 3rd group. It measures a smidge over 3/8 inches for 3 shots at 100 yds. It would superimpose nicely over the first group, the 1/2 inch one. So the point is I can use the same ammo with no load development needed! I am sure I could reload for tighter groups but I'd rather shoot than reload....

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors

Last edited by Len Backus; 04-20-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:50 PM
Gold Member

re: Will 2 rifles that are almost clones shoot the same ammo with equal accuracy?

great shooting and awesome rifle
Old 04-19-2012, 07:43 PM
Silver Member

re: Will 2 rifles that are almost clones shoot the same ammo with equal accuracy?

Fine looking rig! Always fun to get something new to the range!
Old 04-19-2012, 07:46 PM
Platinum Member

Len nice rifle, but I do have some 2,4D Amine for those pesky dandelions.

Brent

"The will to win, compares little with the will to prepare to win" Donovan Moran
Old 04-20-2012, 11:39 PM
Silver Member

Re: Will 2 rifles that are almost clones shoot the same ammo with equal accuracy?

Thats great that that worked out for you, I have never had that kind of luck myself, me and my buddy built two rifles with all the same components, same smith same reamer both ended up liking a differernt powder, I built 3 6.5X47's and ended up with 3 different loads, 2 used rl 15 1 used varget the 2 with the rl 15 were different bullets , one a 130 berger the other the 123 amax the varget load would not shoot the amax so we went with the berger thats awsome that it worked out for you I always think that is the way it should be, but not my luck
Old 04-21-2012, 05:25 AM
Gold Member

Re: Will 2 rifles that are almost clones shoot the same ammo with equal accuracy?

Its possible but unlikely two identical guns will do there absolute best with the exact same load
Old 04-21-2012, 03:29 PM
PUBLISHER

Second range trip. Cleaned for first time after 8 or 10 rounds yesterday. Two fouling shots, which were one ragged hole, by the way.

These 2 groups were each 3 shots. First one was .38, second was .30 and the two would superimpose on .38 inches.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Will 2 rifles that are almost clones shoot the same ammo with equal accuracy?-6998.jpg  

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors