Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Wildcat Bullets Update

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2010, 01:45 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Wildcat Bullets Update

Playing a bit with numbers seems like 7:1 twist would be better suited than 8:1 for the 210 gr. and the 246 gr. Definitely won't work with 9:1 or 10:1

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 09-27-2010, 09:46 AM
Gold Member

Oh well, maybe by the time they have all the bugs worked out and they are in production I'll be ready for a new barrel.

The 210 and 247 look to be well suited for the likes of Kirby's 300AX.

Do you have any idea what the BC will be on either of those????
Old 09-27-2010, 10:47 AM
Silver Member

Can you post a list of your current offerings in all calibers? Thanks!
Old 09-27-2010, 11:16 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Eaglet,

I would be very suprised if the 247 gr AT needed more then a 1-8 twist. When Richard was playing with them, he made me some 290 gr ULD RBBT prototypes that were even a bit longer then the listed 247 gr by a few thou.

He wanted me to test them in my 1-8 twist 300 AX and I was more then happy to. The problem was not stability, it was integrity. At the velocity I was able to drive them to, about 75% of them came apart. I learned that the hard way, lost one muzzle brake and a chrono graph in that testing!!!

I was driving them to around 3100 fps and I would get as I mentioned, 1 out of 4 to land on target. Those that did were very accurate and obviously fully stabilized as I tested them out to a mile and the bullets that actually made it to the target were extremely consistant.

The problem when you get a bullet this long you need a relatively fast twist rate but there is a fine line between over spinning and keeping them stable. I am not talking about over stabilization, I am talking about the bullets being able to survive the launch speeds or should I say RPMs.

I am hoping and praying Paul can get these 30 cals figured out. My 300 AX is screaming for a good high BC bullet. If we could get one that would take the velocity, my 300 AX may be the best of the bunch between the 7mm AM, 300 AX and 338 AX.

Next step would be for him to figure a way to get them to survive a 3500 fps launch speed, I have a 300 Allen Magnum reamer sitting here that has never been used!!! Yep, that one is based on the 408 CT!!!

I was able to down load the 290 gr prototypes to where around 50% were surviving the launch but could do no better. I then tested them in a 1-8 twist 300 RUM to see if I could get them down in speed a bit more to see if they would survive and never could get consistant performance.

It all depends on the jackets, it was the problem back then and it still is, I hope Paul can get them figured out, I would love to have the AMs and AXs spitting wildcat bullets again. They are most impressive anyway but they become really special with the bullets they were designed around.

Take care old friend!!!!

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 09-27-2010, 11:30 AM
Gold Member

Sooooo, do you think there would be a snowballs chance in hell a 1-10 would work for the 210's??????
Old 09-27-2010, 11:37 AM
Gold Member

I know this is probably asking alot since they, ie. 208amax, are nearly impossible to get right now but I would love to see a side by side pic of those two AL tipped Wildcat's next to a 208Amax.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:00 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

B23,

I know of one 300 RUM that is shooting the 220 gr Hensen aluminum tipped bullets very well but those are not nearly as aggressive as the 210 gr Wildcat will be.

I would say it would be marginal but stranger things have happened.

When I started my 7mm AM project with the 200 gr ULD RBBT wildcat, I asked Dan Lilja to develope THE barrel for that chambering and bullet. He came up with a 1-7 twist from the computer models and conventional wisdom. After several years and alot of out of pocket cost to replace customer barrels on my dime, we found out that the standard 1-9 twist was nearly perfect with this huge bullet in my 7mm AM. That may be different for a lesser chambering but I have always found many recommend far more twist then needed.

Another example is the 6mm bullets, mainly a 107 gr SMK for example. In a 6mm BR you need a 1-8 but in a 6-284, you can get by EASILY with a 1-9 twist barrel. Most recommend a bit more twist then needed because they want to make sure the bullet is stablized in all situations. The problem then comes in with our new wildcats that take performance out of the normal relm and then you run into other problems, namely bullet integrity.

Its a hard game to play, I am sure Paul would agree with that!!!

I know very soon he will have his own 7mm AM for bullet testing!! That should help him out alot.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com