Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Wildcat Bullets Update

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2013, 11:56 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: Wildcat Bullets Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
I think Matrix and Berger are filling the gap slowly. Between the 2 of them there are some pretty good LR bullets in most every cal with a few more on the horizon

Now if we could only get Rich to go into the bullet making business
Yes, the Matrix bullets are doing very well but I did run into some issues with them in my 270 AM. I was very hopeful that the 165 and 175 gr versions in 270 would bring back new life into my old work horse. The 165s actually did better then the 175s if I kept velocity below 3300 fps. Above that and the velocity ripped them apart. The 175s came apart at all velocity levels.

TO BE FAIR though, I shot these out of a 1-8 twist 3 groove barrel. I suspect a 1-9 twist barrel with a land design that produced between 17-19% baring surface compression would really make a huge difference.

When I get a chance to take a breath, I will test this by ordering a custom barrel made to these specs. My 7mm AM had similar performance with its original 3 groove rifling design by Lilja. That design is great for barrel life, terrible for thin jacketed, long, heavy match bullets driven to high velocity.

When I figured out the baring surface compression issue and kept it to less then 18% I had no issues at all with the 200 gr ULD RBBT. The old 200 gr ULD RBBTs were made off the old berger J-4 jackets which I believe the matrix bullets are also made with so I suspect most of the problems I have had are more to do with the barrels rifling design then anything else.

I have had a lot of customers using the matrix bullets in lesser 270 chamberings I have built for them and their results have been very good.

The new berger bullets are also holding up to top end velocity levels as well. The OTMs have been proving great for my larger wildcats and the elite hunters have been great for more conventional velocity levels.

We certainly have some good companies looking out for us but its always sad to loose a company making a line of long range bullets, we do not have ALOT to choose from, need more, not less choices.

Again, I do not know all the details concerning Wildcat Bullets new owners so do not want to pass judgement, but it is sad they are not producing.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 12-23-2013, 12:35 PM
Gold Member

Kirby what's the go to bullet now for your 7am's?
Old 12-23-2013, 12:51 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUDD View Post
Kirby what's the go to bullet now for your 7am's?
Right now, the Berger 180 gr OTM or Elite Hunter depending on the range you will be hunting and the game you will be targeting. The OTM is better for heavy game and closer ranges. The Elite Hunter is better for longer ranges and lighter game as it expands easier.

the 160 gr Accubond is always a good choice for closer range hunting when you still may need 700-800 yard reach but I do not recommend much past that but out to that range, the good ole 160 gr AB works extremely well.

When the 195 gr berger comes out, it will likely be my go to bullet but until its on the shelves, no reason to think to hard about that one!!!

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 12-23-2013, 12:59 PM
Silver Member

Kirby can u pm me or tell me here what ur load would be for the 180 OTM ? I am shooting the 160 accubonds at 3450 right now, which shoot amazing. What velocities would I expect for the 180's?
I have one of your 7AM raptor stalker rifles.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:00 PM
Gold Member

What speeds are you pushing the 180 bergers? Any issues with bullets not holding up?
Old 12-23-2013, 01:02 PM
Silver Member

Edit 3370 fps. Still fast enough ;)
Old 12-23-2013, 01:04 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolffman View Post
Kirby can u pm me or tell me here what ur load would be for the 180 OTM ? I am shooting the 160 accubonds at 3450 right now, which shoot amazing. What velocities would I expect for the 180's?
I have one of your 7AM raptor stalker rifles.
Remind me what barrel length your using and what powders you have to use?

In 26" barrel lengths, I have been pushing the 180 gr berger to right at 3400 fps in my Raptor Stalkers and over 3500 fps in my Raptor LRSS rifles with the longer barrels.

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com